Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Friday, December 3, 2021

Raven Jumping Issues

I'm suspicious that Raven has something going on with her teeth again.  She really isn’t jumping well.  She’s flatting ok, but refusing even small crossrails again.  I videoed the whole ride today.  Over thanksgiving Jasi showed me how to edit video and add commentary (ah, youth!) with my iphone, so I created this video today that explains what I'm feeling and seeing in Raven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VuVsLilAs0


I sent it on to Dr. Landes so he could see what I'm trying to describe.  Raven's just not "right".  Her natural jump form is incredible and she's always been confident and powerful over fences.  For her to be stopping at jumps is highly uncharacteristic of her.  Watching the video has been immensely helpful, I can see that even when she has loose reins she's doing odd things with her head on landing.  I also noticed in the warmup video that she bucks when she tries to move her head and slide her jaw, but it catches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReK3vJ0cvhU


You can see over this blue crossrail that she has a loose rein, but she's still holding her head up and twisted on landing.


 

Over this orange cross rail she jumps really flat through her back - almost hollow with her back dropped rather than lifted in bascule.  She's lifting her legs to get over, but not using her trunk/torso at all.

 

Then again on landing she lifts her head way up.

We did some work over the verticals, too.  I was able to get her to be obedient and jump the fences I asked for, but she never really jumped WELL.  It's frustrating, as she's normally such an incredibly athletic and eager jumper.  Hopefully we can get it sorted out again with her teeth next week.


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment