Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Sunday, October 15, 2017

Northern Colorado Dressage Association

This weekend we attended the Fall NCDA dressage schooling show.  I love these shows because they are close (only a quick trip to the west side of Greeley), they are affordable, laid back, and they give out big ribbons!


This was Raven's first time going to a dressage show, really her first horseshow experience if you don't count the fiasco of a rodeo that was our trip to the saddle club when she first arrived for training.

Raven's riding has improved so dramatically over the past few months that I had become cautiously optimistic she would behave and focus at this dressage schooling show.  I figured if she rode half as well at the show as she's been doing at home I'd be really pleased.

We were first to arrive at the showgrounds, early enough that the show manager commented that there was no prize for being first into the office.  I told her that my best prize for being early is having enough warmup for this horse!


I kind of look like a hobo in this photo with my harem pants, winter coat, and wool cap.  But the pants kept my breeches clean underneath and I was warm enough so fashion was a reasonable sacrifice.

Once I was checked in and Raven had been identified as competitor number 207 I took her off the trailer.  She had been standing and waiting patiently for me.  We went hand walking in the indoor show arena since she had never been there before.  Jasi got onto the bleachers and stomped around, as well as sitting in the judge's chair and looking ominous.  Once Raven realized it was her friend and mash-deliverer, Jasi, she was ok with a human on that end of the arena.  Raven did take some time to stare at herself in the mirrors, having never seen mirrors before, but she was very level-headed about the whole thing.

Next I tied her at the trailer and she began munching at her hay bag while I unbraided her tail (the braid keeps shavings out of it during the trailer ride).  I then wrapped her legs in white polos and tacked her up in her favorite saddle.  Even though it's an extremely forward jumping saddle, it's what fits her best so I had decided last night to use it despite it not really being designed for dressage.  I had also done a thorough cleaning and conditioning of all her equipment and shined my own high boots.

When I got on I discovered that the thorough conditioning of the saddle just prior to a competition might not have been my best idea.  It was cold in the morning, so I'd put on full seat breeches for the show.  As I mounted and settled my buns in the saddle, I realized the grip from my pants was too much. When combined with the leather conditioner on the seat of the saddle, there was some noisy friction going on.  Raven and I rode over to the warmup arena, squeaking with every step as though we were wearing rubber diapers.  I made a comment to the Bit of Honey Crew that I sure hoped the conditioner wore off before I began riding in front of the judge for my first test!





Thankfully by the time I entered the show arena my pants had settled down and we were appropriately noiseless.  Raven entered the ring and took her cursory lap around nicely, having another good look at the mirrors and arena.  When the bell rang we began our first test, Training Level Test 1.  Being in a new place, Raven was a little stiff and we needed more bend to the right, but otherwise it was a nice go.  She ended up with a good score overall and best of all got a 7 for her gaits in the collective marks!  The judge's comment on her scoresheet was "Willing horse but needs to develop more relaxation and right bend.  Patiently ridden."  Success for her first test!



We then went back to the outdoor warmup arena and worked a little more, asking her to bend right and really listen to my aids.  When we returned to the show ring for Training Level Test 2 Raven was more focused and listening well.  I may have even over-schooled the right bend a little, because in this test she needed more left bend.  This mare is so sensitive I have to be really careful how much I emphasize things to her.







Raven put forth a solid test, and I was extremely proud of her try.  In this one she scored 7's on her centerline and halt at the beginning and end of the test.  She also got a 7 on her free walk because of her great stretch forward and down.  She again scored a 7 on her gaits.  Her overall score was a 64.4%, something I'm incredibly proud of for her first time out.

Video of Raven's second test can be seen here:
https://youtu.be/3qrhDo8pwZQ

I am so pleased with the progress this horse has made over the past few months.  While Raven's tests today naturally weren't as good as her riding at home, she did incredibly well for never having been to this type of show, never having seen mirrors, and not even needing to lunge before I got on.  She has been so straightforward to bring along after I figured her out, and she is so eager to do the right things.  I am excited to watch her come along in her dressage training, and to see the pieces come together for her to transform into a stellar eventer.

No comments:

Post a Comment