Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Monday, November 20, 2017

I Know Great Horses Live Again

 Somewhere
Stanley Harrison

Somewhere...somewhere in time's own space
there must be some sweet pastured place.

Where creeks sing on and tall trees grow
some Paradise where horses go.

 For by the love that guides my pen
I know great horses live again. 

Today we had to say goodbye to an incredible mare.  She was known around the barn as "Fergie", but I affectionately called her Fergilicious most of the time.  I met her years ago when she came to me for training, and then once she was riding well she continued on with boarding at Bit of Honey.



When Fergie first arrived I was told that the long term aspiration for her was to be able to walk and trot in the arena with a rider aboard.  That was the only goal that seemed reasonable to her owner at the time, based on Fergie's history.  Fergie was an opinionated mare who fortunately shared with me what she needed to be successful, and because of her willingness to work with me she went on to have a riding career competing at the walk, trot, and canter.  I loved Fergie, and I feel honored to have had her in my barn for so many years.




One of my favorite Fergie memories is from after she was in training with me for a few months.  We both liked to gallop in the arena, and we were having a good time one brisk morning racing around in the good footing.  Suddenly, in pure joyful exuberance, Fergie began hopping up and down bucking.  I was fine until she slammed on the brakes and put her head between her knees, which caused me to go somersaulting down her neck and land in the soft dirt in front of her.  She immediately stopped and looked at me, completely puzzled.  She placed her nose on my shoulder.

"Kim?"  she asked, "Are you ok?  What are you doing on the ground?  You were supposed to stay on!"  I remounted and we finished our ride in a more mannerly fashion, no hard feelings since no one was injured and Fergie kept her feet going in the correct order after that.  That was the only time I ever came off of Fergie, and it really is a happy memory because of the jolly time we had and how truly bewildered she was that I didn't just stay aboard.  She was just a really kind horse with lots of opinions.







Fergie was with her owner for nearly twenty years.  They had moved across the country together, been at several different types of barns together, and were a true example of friendship and dedication to one another.  Fergie taught her owner all about saddle and tack fitting (including the Thoroughbred preferences for fluffy girths and pads), and ultimately got her owner back into competing at local shows.  


Fergie's best friend here at Bit of Honey was Rain, the paint mare I use for riding lessons all the time.  Those girls spent so many years together as roommates and often the only mares at the barn.  They even took selfies together.



Fergie's photos from playing in turnout are some of the most comical ones I have.  She single handedly demolished all my cavalletti in her disgust at being asked to jump anything, despite being perfectly capable of jumping things.





We all loved our Fergie, and it's with heavy hearts we said goodbye to her today.  When I read the part of the Bible where it says Christ left to prepare a mansion in heaven for us, I always think that I don't need a mansion.  I just need a ranch large enough to accommodate all the horses I've loved here on earth.  I'm sure Fergie is now enjoying her lush pastures above, and we send our condolences to all those who loved her during her long time here with us.





No comments:

Post a Comment