Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Centered Riding Clinic

The instructor update clinic to keep my Centered Riding instructor certification current went really well.  The week long clinic began each day in a cute farmhouse at the Humble Ranch in Steamboat Springs, CO with unmounted work, discussion of theory, and consulting on different ways to present information about the basics of Centered Riding.  The basics are Centering, Grounding, Building Blocks, Soft Eyes, and Clear Intent.  There are so many ways to teach these things both on and off the horse, it is always great to get new ideas that might work for different types of people.





Another exercise done off the horse is called Swing Your Partner.  In these photos you can see that folks are paired up, one is the "horse" the other is the "rider".  They they walk around the arena altering different aspects of their posture and energy levels, and using their theoretical inside reins and outside reins.  It's a great exercise to illustrate a multitude of things that we do as riders, and it gives us deeper insight into how our horses perceive those things.





Each exercise has a short wrap up summary at the end so everyone can compare notes on how the experience went for them.


Next came bodywork and riding instruction for the instructors.  This is an important part of the clinic so that the instructors can get some guidance on their own riding, as well as have some bodywork done on themselves.  Instructors also ride as an evaluation, to demonstrate that they can practice what they preach.














Our main supervisor for the weekend was Vivien, the corgi.  She made sure everyone got to where they needed to be on time, and attempted to play with Monty. 

I was pleased with how my rides went, both the ones where I was riding and where I was teaching.  I got to teach a woman I worked with two years ago last time I updated my instructor certification.  I wish I could pack her and her horse up and bring them back to Wellington with me, because they would fit in SO WELL here at Bit of Honey.  The horse is a draft cross, and the rider is an adult amateur, a perfectionist like all of us.  She and I clicked so well, I enjoyed teaching her tremendously.  She was a great sport about letting me experiment with her a bit with some new techniques I've acquired, and we had a fun time watching her horse become a swingy, free moving mare with forward impulsion.

Dewey and Monty were a hit at the clinic.  The first day all of us instructors introduced ourselves while sitting in a circle, and I ended up going last.  There were several folks who have had a typical off-track-thoroughbred experience, and were a bit soured on the breed.  When I went last to introduce myself I explained where my barn is located, gave a little history regarding my education  and experience, then happily declared my intent to help all those I meet understand what sweet horses the OTTB athletes can be. 

I certainly accomplished my goal; within a short period of time I was fielding questions regarding how I can possibly have such quiet horses?  What do I feed them?  How do I manage them?  By the end of the clinic another instructor declared to me, "The next horse I buy will be an off track thoroughbred, and I will be buying it from you.  You surely have a knack for picking the good ones."  I felt vastly successful, not just because I recertified as a Centered Riding Instructor, but because I was able to change some good minds regarding my favorite breed.



Dewey showed he has a sense of humor, and everyone was amazed when word got out that he has only recently turned five.  If I could have a barn full of horses just like Dewey I'd be all set!

Tao the Haflinger was also quite popular.  We did have a little trouble with him the first day in his lesson.  The arena was divided into two sections by poles and cones so that two lessons could be happening concurrently.  At a very tender age I clicker trained Tao and as a result he loves to pick up cones with his mouth and carry them around, as well as go over jumps, even if they are just poles on the ground.  There was a small amount of confusion while he sorted out whether these humans would transform into vending machines if he performed all his tricks in quick succession. 

The last day I ended up teaching at the same time as Tao and Carrie were in their lesson on the other side of the arena.  As the last part of my student's exercise I had her riding figure eights over a ground pole while performing walk/trot transitions.  When we stopped to wrap up at the end, Tao came careening across the arena, aiming directly for my pole!  One of the other instructors realized that Tao was just trying to aim for the "jump" as he thought he should, and as soon as the pole was put away Tao went back to calmly circling his own side of the arena.  He is such a smart pony, and I'm thankful for a group of instructors who also realized he was demonstrating his eager-to-please nature, and not being disobedient.  At any rate it was a good pop-quiz for Carrie to manage his overachiever tendencies!










The clinic was overall a great success.  Good friends, good food, good horses, and a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment