Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Friday, June 11, 2021

Faline, the Pool Noodles, and the Bridge

Once the young horses are used to wearing the pad and surcingle I start attaching things to it to help desensitize them to stuff on and around their back in preparation for riding.  Today Faline wore the pool noodles!

To begin with I go through all of the regular routine of tying her at the barn, grooming her head to toe, tacking up with the surcingle, and then walking to the arena and lunging a little each direction.  To introduce the pool noodles I toss them on the ground while the horse is lunging so they can work around them and check them out.  When Faline had settled I then picked up a noodle and led her around so she was following it.  Things are definitely less scary when you're chasing them!

When Faline would catch up with the pool noodle and touch it with her nose I would immediately say "Yes!  Good" and then give her a small cookie.  She very quickly realized that touching the "scary thing" transformed me into a vending machine and realized the noodle was the key to unlocking the treat dispenser.  After this realization she was all over that pool noodle!

After the noodle had transformed into something fun, I attached it to her surcingle by tying it to a metal ring.  Then she went back out on the lunge line and walked a little each direction.  Next I added the second noodle to the other side of her and we resumed lunging.  

When lunging was no big deal with the pool noodles I reintroduced the bridge.  She had worked on the bridge when she was here last summer so it wasn't too big a deal.  She followed me and climbed on, inspecting it thoroughly, then walked the rest of the way over.


There was a pause once Faline had her front feet on the bridge, and she lifted her head way up in the air to get a better look at the noodles hovering over her back.  I love how she thinks her way through things and everything is a fun game to her.  This is exactly how I want a young horse to feel about their "work", that it's all fun and games.


I string tested Faline today, which is a technique for estimating the horse's height when fully grown.  I've always found it to be accurate.  Faline string tests to 18.1h!  She is going to be a big girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment