The Crystal Creek Piedmont Horseman's Association open horseshow this weekend was a little over an hour away, and it was a blessedly uneventful drive. Lynx and I entered the English halter class, I wasn't expecting to have eight horses in the class! That was about how it went all morning, eight to ten horses in each of our classes. Considering Lynx has only ridden with up to two other horses in the ring at a time, this was a big new experience!
The halter class went as well as could be expected. I neglected to explain to him about trotting in hand ahead of time, so we just paced in hand. The judge recognized him as a Standardbred from his pace as well as his brand, which could be seen more easily since I'd braided him. She said she's a huge Standardbred fan, and was really happy to see I'd brought him today.
After halter we got tacked up and then rode all over the grounds and warmed up in the arena. A large poster flapping on the gate startled a horse in front of us, and Lynx just quietly slowed down and gave the horse the side eye as if to silently judge him for spooking. Of course Lynx would have seen all kinds of things at the track, so posters flapping, the sound system, other horses going all directions, traffic, none of it was a problem for this chill gelding.
I didn't expect the classes to be quite so large for the walk/trot groups, and I didn't realize that they allowed cross-entries. I'd entered Lynx in walk/trot because he's been cantering at home, but I want him to be more confident and balanced before doing it at a show, especially in a large group. However, because they had cross entries, that meant every other horse in our classes was experienced with cantering and was also in the walk/trot/canter classes. Considering the large class sizes (for a local open show) Lynx did really well!
We earned ourselves a fistful of ribbons, and I went back to the show office to pay my tab and get checked out. I told Mary in the office how well run and efficient the show was, and that we'd had a lot of fun! I was able to shake hands with the judge as well and thank her for the long day judging. I've done that job and it's a lot of work! Lastly I found the show photographer, and was able to talk to her about how to get the photos once they are posted.
I was just clearing up the last of our stuff back at the trailer when I heard my name being said over the loudspeaker, and something about Son of a Lynx. I didn't catch what it was about though, so I headed back to the show office. When I got there to my surprise I discovered Lynx and I had won reserve champion for our division for the day, which came with a rather large ribbon! I'm so glad I heard our names and went back!












No comments:
Post a Comment