Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Sunday, July 26, 2026

First Horseshow

We made a trip down to Oxford, NC last night for a horseshow with friends! Son of a Lynx was an old pro, showing how well track life can prepare a horse for horseshow life.  He was entirely unphased by the kids, other horses being squirrerely, spectators clamoring around in metal bleachers, large banners and posters, the PA system and music. He's more curious than anything. 

We entered a halter class, which ended up being the biggest class of the night with 6 horses.  Son of a Lynx came in second place!

Next we tacked up and went back to the arena for warmup.  As most horseshow riders know, the warmup ring is the most challenging part of competing.  Horses and riders going multiple directions, some horses misbehaving, some humans being distracting.  Lynx handled it all with aplomb.  He did occasionally stare at the more dramatic incidents, but it was with an air of "Are you ok?  Is there something wrong with your human?  Do you need me to contact someone?" Then I'd calmly explain to him that it's ok to notice, but we don't worry about any of that.





Our flat class was a novice horse walk/trot.  Lynx could tell this was when it "mattered", and he remembered his job was to pace when it mattered in racing.  He's still differentiating his job as a riding horse from his job as a racehorse.  While I got a nice balanced trot several times in the warmup, by the time the class came around he was a little tired and just paced.  He was truly quiet and well behaved though, and did give me some good balanced trot in the next break. 


This little show had a ground poles "jump" class, which was our last entry.  I loved that Lynx and I were able to do do a ground poles class at his very first horseshow, even so early in his riding training!  He did great, went forward and straight over each one, earning himself another red ribbon!



We headed back to the trailer after that, and I tied him while I changed out of my show clothes.  In the couple minutes it took me to put away my tall boots and jacket, Lynx feel asleep at his hay bag!  I turned back to him and his eyes were shut, ears flopping to the sides.  When I woke him up and offered him a cookie, he rested his horse lips in the palm of my hand on top of the cookie without taking it, and promptly fell asleep again. 


He did perk up a little for some photos, and then we loaded up and headed home.  What an incredibly successful first show!  

https://youtu.be/GvIxiRzKPaM?is=ox4sjD_39PF_ckfB


Laid back, studious and observant, Lynx made quite an impression at his first horseshow!




No comments:

Post a Comment