Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Trailride with Raven

 

Raven and I went to Occoneechee park this morning for a conditioning ride. We went out the main trail, which is an out-and-back ride, but I knew the footing was good since it has gravel and it’s been kind of wet here the past couple weeks. I was aiming to mostly walk, but Raven was so eager to be out that we did do some trotting and even a little galloping. 

I’m very pleased to have discovered that my Australian saddle fits her really well.  I’ve had it a very long time, because it’s my favorite. If someone gave me a block of clay and had me sit on it to make an impression of my derrière, then created a saddle that perfectly fit that impression- you would have this saddle. I can do super long rides in it, I can do fast rides in it, I feel extremely secure in it, I love this saddle!  Thankfully, Raven does too. She has many opinions and does not hesitate to tell me if something is even slightly amiss with her equipment, but she really does like this saddle. 

The only thing I need to change is the girthing system. I either need to change the rigging to be regular English style billets so I can use a girth with elastic, or have a girth made with elastic that can accommodate the thick billets and overgirth.  The current girthing setup doesn’t have even contact with her barrel.  Fortunately a new friend in the art guild I joined has a husband who loves to do these kinds of custom projects, so I have a lead in that direction!

I don’t love these pics with the wonky helmet cover that doesn’t fit the helmet super well, but I’m trying to be extremely visible on the trails because of hunters.

We went just about 8 1/2 miles in an hour and 45 min. We are both a little stiff this evening, getting back to riding fitness together is a process!






No comments:

Post a Comment