Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Friday, August 5, 2022

Big Wildlife

 The wildlife here is BIG.  Several weeks ago I saw a very tall and stocky coyote, and discovered that the coyotes here can get to 80lbs.  By comparison the biggest coyotes we saw in CO were around 40 lbs, or the size of Pascal. 

Tonight Owen and I were outside with the horses and Dewey and Miss Pea were very alarmed.  They were honking and snorting and prancing along the fence line while staring towards the pond.  When I looked over from my stance at the barn to see what they were going on about I saw the largest black bear I’ve ever seen in person!  

It was easily half the height of one of my big horses, and very thick built.  The black bears I’ve seen in the west were always just a bit larger than my 70lb dog, but this one made those look minuscule.  After finishing its drink from the pond it casually lumbered off into the nearby woods.  Now that Dewey and Miss Pea have pointed it out I guess I can no longer scoff at Highboy and exclaim “they’re just deer!” when he says there are large predators in the woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment