Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Sunday, February 13, 2022

Riding Daisy with the Dogs

Recently I've started walking around a little with Daisy to help with my core recovery.  She is the shortest in my herd and also the laziest, so least likely to do anything unexpected, quick, or sideways.  Her 14.3h height means she's the easiest to get on.  I mount from an upside down water tank so it's more like rest my leg on her far side and then slide into a sitting position on the bareback pad.  She also is perfectly content to walk a few laps in the arena and then go back to the barn.  

 

I've been walking for some time now post-op, and it's interesting how differently I use my core when mounted versus walking on my own feet.  My body just settles into straight and tall while on Daisy, versus having to frequently remind myself to look up and engage my core when I'm walking.  We go around until odd nerve sensations begin in my left leg, then I dismount and put her away.  Today I was able to stay mounted a while longer, so we went a little farther and did one lap in the back fields with the dogs.

 


When I get off of Daisy I feel significantly taller, and straighter through my torso. I think I'm getting the hippotherapeutic benefits of riding her and activating my core differently than when I'm on the ground.  The dogs are also very pleased to be out and running around, my recovery has been hard on these workaholic border collies so they're making the most of their structured freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment