Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

2015 Equine Comeback Challenge

The Equine Comeback Challenge was fabulous.  The trainers and horses did really well, and Dewey and Miles stole the show as the grand finale at liberty!  The pattern was simple, it involved having the horse stand for having his hooves lifted and bridling, and included walking, trotting, and cantering over poles, a bridge, a gate, and backing an L shape.

First we all gathered outside the stadium arena to get our instructions from the course designer and the judges.  Dewey thought this part was boring.  









Once the course was set, all the horses and trainers went into the arena to let our horses look at the obstacles.  Because my back was sore from the previous day's ride I chose to lead Dewey through the course while walking from the ground.





Dewey and I were slotted last in the order of go to do our actual performance, so we had quite a bit of time waiting in the barn alley.  Dewey passed the time by trying to engage the spectators on the rail in lip wrestling.  Once we went into the arena I demonstrated that Dewey picks up his feet, and then I bridled him.

 Next I mounted and we walked over some poles on the ground.  Dewey was quite calm considering this was only his fifth ride with me, and his rider time totaled about an hour and a half with me in the saddle.

 After that we gave the rope gate a try and then trotted through some cones and over some more poles.




 Cantering was next, and backing through the L shape.







Once we were done riding the course, I dismounted and pulled all of Dewey's tack off.  Help from my barn rushed into the arena with Miles, and took the equipment.



When my friend was leaving the arena, I gestured for the sound guy to cue our music.
The opening chords of One Republic's song began with these lyrics:

"I hope that you fall in love, and it hurts so bad
The only way you can know is give it all you have
And I hope that you don't suffer but take the pain
Hope when the moment comes, you'll say...


I did it all..."

 I asked Dewey to walk off with me as the first chords played.  He decided to try to follow my friend!  So I sent Miles to go get him, and Miles rushed in front of Dewey to turn him around.  They both came hurrying back to me.  The crowd loved it - a distinct example of how my dog helps me train horses!

Dewey and I walked off, to show off his turns and in hand work at liberty with no halter or lead rope.  Miles did his usual work, following us and barking encouragement when Dewey did something well.


I sent Miles over the poles, then I had Dewey walk over the poles with me.  I sent Miles over the bridge, then had Dewey follow over the bridge.  Dewey got distracted a couple times and wanted to wander off, but each time he lost focus Miles would bring him back, much to the delight of the crowd.  There was a lot of laughter and cheering, and Dewey nearly brought the house down with his bow at the end.

We also cantered in-hand, I would pick up a skipping gait and Dewey would canter next to me.  We cantered over the poles and down the long side of the arena.  As we cantered the song played the chorus:

"I did it all
I did it all
I owned every second that this world could give
I saw so many places, the things that I did
With every broken bone, I swear I lived

With every broken bone, I swear I lived.
With every broken bone, I swear I lived."

















It was a beautiful tribute to rescue horses, and in particular Off Track Thoroughbreds.  They indeed can "do it all".  Before the Comeback Challenge Dewey narrowly missed being sent to a slaughter auction, and I was fortunate to survive back surgery during the process of training him.  We definitely "owned every second that this world could give, saw so many places, the things that we did, with every broken bone, I swear I lived."



The video of our run at the Challenge was recorded by Warren Miller Productions, and can be seen at
http://youtu.be/b4HB5_h6VBI

No comments:

Post a Comment