Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Horseshow!

It's not very often I feel like my day spent at a horse show feels this good.  Yes, I'm tired and everyone in the house is grateful I showered, but I had such a wonderful day at the saddle club show today in Wellington.  With everything going on I was just proud that I was able to make it to the show at all with Highboy, and that I had three client horses attend as well.  The first clue among the show attendants that I wasn't in my usual situation was my lack of show clothes.  I was asked where my show coat and dress shirt were since I was only wearing breeches, boots, and a polo shirt and usually I dress in a full riding habit for these.  I explained the circumstances and that my show clothes are in a box somewhere in my friend's garage, and that was all that was needed to start the word through the show grounds.

I only had to explain the clothing thing once or twice, and everyone seemed to know what was going on.  I don't know if I've ever felt so buoyed up by a group of people as I did today at that show.  It felt like each person talked to someone who knew someone, and by the end of the day I had a couple solid leads on properties that might work up here!  I don't know if they will pan out in the end, but it was so comforting to have everyone be indignant on my behalf, conferencing among themselves in a concentrated effort to find Kim and Bit of Honey Training a new place!  I love our horse community, the social support was amazing today.

The show was huge.  Possibly the biggest turnout I've ever seen at the saddle club.  We nearly filled the entire field for parking, with about twelve horses in each class for western, and nearly a half dozen people in each english class.  I didn't leave the show until close to 4pm, and reining hadn't even started yet!  It's the last horse show before the county fair, so I'm sure that played a part in the record setting attendance, but I think this year the change from age groups to ability levels was a factor as well.  I love that I can compete against other trainers and advanced riders and I don't have to compete with my own adult students, just because we're all over 19.  If the pattern is too difficult for Highboy I just simplify it and ride what he's able, that way he still gets the show mileage while my students get to compete against other riders in their ability level.

Highboy did all the english classes for our division, and the judge took a moment to ask how old he is.  I explained he's just turned five, and he's off the track just starting under saddle this spring.  She paused for a moment and commented on how incredible a mover he is, and that she sees some amazing potential there.  It feels so good to have people expressing that he's a really cool horse, and that people are seeing in him now what I guess I only imagined when I assessed his conformation about a year ago when he arrived at Bit of Honey.  What a change from the first show of the season when the judge, watching me riding Highboy, grabbed the arm of her ring steward (one of my students who was volunteering) and declared, "this is terrifying".

Because I am still without my computer and therefore sans photo editing software, I don't have any pictures of the day to share, but it was a wonderful experience.  I rarely have felt so supported by our horse community, I enjoyed such nice rides on my eventing prospect, and my students cleaned up in the competition both english and western.  I'm very proud, pleased, and tired.  Grateful for such a wonderful horse community here in Northern Colorado.

Update 9/7/2014:  I've got the photos!  Here are some of Highboy and me sans formal attire.



I'm excited about the reach he has with his left hind leg, so much improved from the short strided halting gait he had just a year ago

He can reach with is right hind, too!



Extended canter or full gallop?
 These two photos are interesting because they show just how in tune Highboy is...  or that I move like a horse.  In all the in-hand photos that are taken of us our legs have matching position and stride.
Taz finally achieved his summer golden palomino color

Joyce and Khreed looking dapper

No comments:

Post a Comment