Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

How To: monitor a sick horse

Here is the chart I've been using for keeping track of Cecil.  This particular set of data is a pretty good summary of what happened those first 24 hours he was home from the hospital. 


As an explanation, there are many things I keep track of when I have a sick horse or animal to monitor.  I keep notes on whether he has passed manure, and if so I include a description.  Glamorous, I know, but necessary.  I keep track of whether he has passed urine, and how much he is drinking.  As Cecil starts to feel better he plays in his water buckets, so I note that as well.  Appetite and how much he ate, including what he was fed.  TPR MM is an abbreviation for vital signs, including Temperature, Pulse, Respiration, Mucus Membranes.  Those four things will give a great amount of information and are among the most important things to note on the chart.  Columns are also included for each medication he is on, with dose and frequency.  The "other" column is for any additional things to note, such as whether he laid down (and which side), his attitude, attempts to lip-wrestle or give me a back rub, his posture, pain indicators, basically anything else that should be noted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment