Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Fason And The Pool Noodles

Because every good retired racehorse wants to go swimming, I present Fason And The Pool Noodles!


After a squirrelly start to today's session, I decided to let Fason think about things gently bumping his sides while he is working.  In an effort to decrease his reactivity to my legs and the reins draped on his shoulders, I introduced some of my Bit of Honey Circus paraphernalia.  When I first picked up the pool noodle he made some googly-eyes at it, but then I ran away from him while I was holding it, so he got to chase it.  Nothing is as scary when you're chasing it!  Then I held still and let him approach the noodle himself.  He gave it a cursory sniff, then tried to stick it up his nose but it didn't fit.
Once he was comfortable with the noodles touching him on not just his nose, but also his neck and shoulder, I attached them to his saddle, one on each side.  This gave him a chance to think about things brushing his sides and tapping his legs, and a chance to realize that it's not actually dangerous for him. 


Fason gave the pool noodles a thorough inspection once they were attached to him, and I'm quite sure I heard him say, "Kim, we definitely did not have these at the track."


After considering the new equipment Fason decided it was not a big deal, and he moseyed around on the lungeline walking each direction quietly.  Then I removed the pool noodles and we worked on standing quietly at the mounting block.  I mimicked the pool noodles, brushing his sides and flapping the stirrups around, then swinging a rope over his back.  I love working with these adult retired racehorses, as a ten year old Fason has a much longer attention span than the average three or four year old, and I can get so much more accomplished in one session.  I can tell he has had good humans in his life over the course of many years at the racetrack, because he trusts me.  He is willing to think through problems, which tells me that he had good track training as well because he wasn't frightened into doing things.  I can tell he has a good mind because he can get very excited and wound up, then when given a thinking task he settles right to work to solve the puzzle. 

Here is a little video of Fason lunging with the pool noodles while I explain why I use them:
https://www.facebook.com/kim.leonard.100/posts/10209076777054044 


No comments:

Post a Comment