Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Saturday, March 5, 2016

Busy Bit of Honey

As the Rocky Mountain Horse Expo fast approaches I find myself cramming as much as possible into the final moments before we leave.  For me the final moments begin a week from departure.  We did a full physical with the vet on Monty and discovered he wintered well and is moving great, no hint of soundness problems.  While we were lunging and examining his movement he even towed me towards the small cross rail jump.  Once close enough he launched himself over the standards, about four feet high.  He very clearly said he is ready to go back to work after his winter season off. 

During the same visit the vet and I attended to Highboy, Dewey, and Fason, got them vaccinated and paperwork done so the three of them have all their health papers in order for the expo.  Dewey also got a dental.  He has a funny mouth, which might partly explain his goofy lips, especially when sedated! 
I have my music all arranged for Dewey's freestyle, my costume is all assembled, and I only have a couple more details to prepare.  Miles still needs a bath, but soon we'll be the greatest dog and pony show at the expo!

The new dog is settling in well.  He now is good about recall, he understands my voice commands and most of my hand signals.  There are a couple things left he needs work on, but mostly he's been working well with me and the other dogs and horses.  His previous owners came over today to visit and it was a happy reunion.  The dog was excited to show them how he now knows how to go over ground poles, jump cross rails, climb on the mounting block, and jump through a hula hoop.  I've been playing with different names to see what he wants to be called, and so far he's responding best to Forrest.  I came up with that because like Forrest Gump, WHEREVER he goes, he's RUNNING!

I rode Fason for the second time today.  He is still on his ulcer medication and seems to gradually be getting less fussy about having his middle groomed.  He does prefer the very softest of curry combs and brushes.  His ride went well, we had Miles there to help today.





I also fit in some saddle fitting this week for my clients who recently bought horses I chose for them.  We had success with the roping saddle for Mark's gelding, Rush, but no luck so far with a trail saddle for Alex's mare, Dancer.  

I had a new horse arrive for training this week, an eleven year old registered Quarter Horse gelding who is here for some manners and to find a job.  Once I discover what he likes to do we may be offering him for sale, so keep an eye out for updates on this cute dark bay gelding.  He is good sized at 15.1 hands tall, but when sharing a fenceline with the gigantic horses like Highboy and Fason he looks quite compact and petite.


In this last photo I imagine him saying to Fason, "My, so you really are this tall!"

1 comment: