Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Sunday, April 5, 2015

Monty's First Ride at Bit of Honey

This was Monty's first week here, and the first ride, in the round pen, was mostly for the initial evaluation under saddle.  Standing tied for grooming he was still a little grumpy, but I changed the brushes to be softer horsehair brushes rather than stiff plastic, and that solved that issue.  After evaluating a few options, my XC jumping saddle fits him best at this time, and I have him in a regular 5" eggbutt snaffle.  I lunged him before I got on, and I had the dogs with me.  The dogs were romping around and barking (at the lunge whip - their favorite thing).  Monty seemed hesitant about going to the right, though he did do it, and confused about why the dogs were with us. 

When I mounted and we started riding I noticed Monty is very much still a "left banana" so to speak.  He puts his head around to the right and tucks his chin (probably the result of the side reins at the old place).  Regardless of where his head is, though, he keeps his body bent to the left.  He's not lifting his back or stretching his neck forwards yet, either.  It all seems very typical for a horse off the track who has been working in side reins.  I don't use side reins here, mostly because I don't care where the horse's head is.  I'm after correct body mechanics, which starts in the haunches.  When the horse is comfortable and using his haunches well, the back lifts and the head very naturally takes care of itself.

I did walk, trot, and canter him to see if I could get him to stretch in small and large circles, and we worked over some ground poles.  I keep ground poles on the rail in the arenas so that I can incorporate them as needed into each training session at all the gaits.  The only time he offered a little lift in his back and reached more underneath himself with his haunches was over the ground poles and just after, so I'll be continuing that work with him because he responded so well.

This week we also rode in the big arena and worked over ground poles in there, which he did just fine.  We also rode out to visit the llamas next door and he handled that well once he realized the dogs went ahead of him to show they were safe.  We walked up and down the hills in the first pasture and he did start to lift his back a little and stretch his neck forwards after a few hills.  He is very willing.  He is trying to do what I want, so when he figures out that what I want is for him to use his body in what is the most natural way for him, I think he'll heave a big sigh and really start moving nicely under saddle.  This horse is going to be a fun project and will be for sale, so stay tuned for photos and updates! 

No comments:

Post a Comment