Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

She's a Redhead and the Fields are Green - Can This be Ireland?

Things here are ridiculously green from the vast amounts of rain we have been getting.  I have never seen our part of Colorado looking quite so much like Ireland, especially in July.  Today I was riding a red horse, the fields are green and I had two dogs with me.  Almost like riding with the hunt in Great Britain, right? 


 Today Sweetpeacefuldream and I went out to hack around the fields again.  It was a little more exciting this time because the horses who live in the west pasture had their appointment with the farrier this afternoon.  With the hot shoeing and smoke, plus all the west pasture horses looking at Miss Pea, it was much more interesting than our last ride out there. 



Miss Pea was very interested in everything, and did a little bit of jigging in her excitement about what might come next.  Once we were past all the commotion and out in the open field to the west she settled some, and got to walking on a loose rein with big swinging strides up the gentle hill.  I love this kind of work for the horses who have recently come from the track.  It does all kinds of good things for their body to get out in the open, stretch out at the walk, and take big strides really using their core muscling to carry us up and down hills. 



When we got to the top we found Mahzi the dog rolling around in the grass on something she liked the smell of.  Miss Pea took a good hard look at Mahzi, and Mahzi paused in her exuberance to explain to Miss Pea just how fun it is to frolic and roll in the grass.  Miss Pea took her at her word, and leaped into the air, giving a little kick just for fun.  I was caught by surprise and just narrowly missed tumbling off the side.  Fortunately when I said whoa she listened to me and stopped right away.  Miss Pea looked over her shoulder at me as if to say, "well, the dog said I could!"  I then had to explain that Mahzi is a good dog, but is young and still fairly new to the Bit of Honey Crew and as a relatively new hire she does not have authority to declare recess.  Everyone settled back down right away and we meandered back to the barn. 





No comments:

Post a Comment