Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Monday, January 2, 2023

Raven and Kim Start Training

Today Raven and I began a training program I’m putting together to aim us at a couple endurance rides this year. I’ll be logging my rides and keeping track of mileage as we go from couch potato/pasture potato to hopefully endurance ready over the next six months. 

Today we did a bunch of walking in the arena, which has relatively deep sand, and then did a lap around the arena pasture and cruised the whole driveway.  I did it this way for a few reasons.  Walking in sand is great for slowly strengthening tendons and ligaments as well as good cardio.  The lap around the pasture on the grass and then walking the gravel driveway adds in different ground and surfaces which is good for hooves and using muscles differently. Varied terrain and conditioning using long walks is a good way to develop a base of fitness. Total today we went 3.3 miles in an hour, which is about where I want to start, especially considering the sand at the beginning.

I’m treating us as starting from zero for fitness, because it never hurts to be cautious.  I expect Raven to do fairly well as we progress since she’s been extremely fit for eventing, just not in the very recent past.  



 

No comments:

Post a Comment