Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Are We Sure It's Only Tuesday?

Considering it's only Tuesday, I sure am tired.  I guess it makes sense as I go through the photos on my phone and review how much has been accomplished in just two days here at Bit of Honey.

First I have photos of a new saddle with completely unique tree technology.  It is called the BUA saddle, and was developed in Ireland.  I came across it while I was bedridden with health issues this winter and had nothing to do but patrol the internet.  I have the first saddle to be tested in the USA, and I am enjoying this market research tremendously.  I've ridden five very different horses in it, and so far only one has said "absolutely not!" to the saddle.  There will be further blog posts about the details of how these test rides have gone and what I think of the saddle so far.



A cool feature (for me) is that I can entirely disassemble the saddle, taking it down to its modular components which are the tree, the flaps, the panels, and the seat.  Sabbath the cat in the photo is not technically part of the saddle, but he likes to stay abreast of new innovations in tack and equipment in a supervisory role.
I also can introduce Beau, a gorgeous black gelding who arrived here in the middle of the night on Saturday from Massachusetts.  He belongs to a client and is here to enjoy the good life of retirement at Bit of Honey.  We are working on healing up a head wound he incurred during his trip across the country, but I'll spare everyone the interesting veterinary photos.  This sweet gelding is tolerating my nursing ministrations incredibly well, but because of all the attention to a sore part of his head and face he does say to me, "Kim, you seem like a nice human.  I want to like you.  But you're not making it easy." 

Our saddle search for Dancer and Alex continued this week with test riding an Allegany trail saddle.  The tree is a very close to perfect fit for Dancer, and Alex was comfortable in it as well, as is obvious from this happy post-ride photo.

Fason is healing up well from his hoof abscess, and is starting to look like a horse who is going through the let-down process after coming off the track.  I decided to increase his mash, and he of course still has free access to the all-day-buffet of hay.  Thank goodness the big guy likes to eat, we'll have good weight on him in no time.


Some of my happiest news of all is that Touch A Prince is mostly recovered from being kicked by his roommate a couple months ago.  While he wasn't able to go to the horse expo and perform in the Equine Comeback Challenge, I was able to pull him out today and we went for a very light hack walking in the arena and the back forty this afternoon.  He was fussy while tied for grooming, but after I reestablished myself as the leader in this relationship he very comfortably backed right down and we had a lovely ride!  He was quiet as could be, so I rode him while I was teaching a lesson to Carol and Shambhu, then the four of us went to the back pastures to mosey around.  Touch A Prince was VERY pleased to be out and doing something again.  He had gotten sort of cranky sitting in his paddock healing (BORING!) but after our leisurely walk around the property he had a very soft look in his eye, he was quiet for untacking, and thoroughly enjoyed having his ears scratched at the end. 


It's hard to believe it's only Tuesday.  There is a storm moving in tonight with a forecast of 35 mph wind with gusts to 50 for Wednesday.  I feel like it was worth bombing through a bunch of stuff for two days since I'll be hiding in the house tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment