Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Sweetpeacefuldream, Her Week in Review

Sweetpeacefuldream had a very full week.  She had her first ride at Bit of Honey Training, which went well and allowed me to assess where she is physically and mentally.  She is overall a lovely and sound mare, and the little things that need to be adjusted so she can progress in her training are just the usual items that come with retiring from racing.  The vet was out this week to look at a couple horses here for me and he did an evaluation on Miss Pea as well so we could get her comfortable as fast as possible so we can start training and make the most of our time.

Miss Pea had another ride with me this weekend.  I just wanted to have a relaxing bareback hack with her while some of my clients were riding their mares in the arena.  We are all working towards the Estes Park Show next weekend and meandering around the dressage court and familiarizing everyone with the dimensions is part of that.  I led Pea down to the arena and climbed on.  She handled it well, she didn't seem as surprised as some horses are when I crawl aboard without a saddle for the first time.

Shortly after we had walked a lap or two there was some additional llama drama at the neighbor's.  I'm not sure what got them wound up, but there were two llamas having a disagreement of sorts which resulted in the strangest screeching noises.  Miss Pea was on high alert, but behaved remarkably well.  She definitely fed off of the very calm vibe that our two riding companions exhibited.  Both of those mares have been around llamas and alpacas for a long time and are not bothered by the menagerie or its noises next door.  I also walked Pea over some cross rails and the tires, and she spent a little time snurfling the barrels.

When we were done with our leisurely hack the three horses congregated in the middle of the arena.  Miss Pea was a little confused, she thought she should be doing something rather than just standing around watching the dogs wrestle while the humans chatted.  I like to do this with horses so they acclimate to the idea of just standing around.  It's great for clinics and horse shows in the line up and while waiting to go into the show ring, and to help her see that things can be quiet and relaxed.  When she stood still Mahzi the young dog came romping up to us to see if Miss Pea would chase her.  I think she would have given chase if I'd let her.  Then Miles, who is older, came over and stood between Pea and Mahzi.  Pea began to nuzzle Miles, perhaps thanking him for being a buffer between her and the excitable Mazhi.

When everyone was settled and Pea was just standing quietly, I began to scratch her withers.  I try to approach this carefully, since more than once I've surprised a horse by scratching them and they assume a predator is grabbing them.  So I carefully rubbed her shoulders, then when her eyes started to close I scratched her gently with my nails.  Pea's lips began to stretch further and further forward, then to wiggle side to side in contented happiness. As I scratched different parts of her neck, withers, back, and haunches, she would sway forwards, backwards, and side to side so I could get just the right spot.  At one point she stepped her hind legs far out behind her and stood "parked" like a gaited horse in a conformation class, alternately lifting and dropping her back depending on where I scratched her.  We were terribly disappointed that we didn't have a phone among the three of us to get a picture or video!

Then we all rode back to the barn to hop off and put the horses away.  I reapplied Pea's bug spray and redressed her in her fly protective gear.  She gave me a nuzzle as I patted her shoulder and thanked her for a fun easy ride.  This mare is going to be a very fun horse both to prepare for the KY makeover, as well as being a fun mount for whoever buys her!

No comments:

Post a Comment