Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Dewey's First Field Trip

We took Dewey to the schooling dressage show at Colorado State University yesterday.  I'm not able to ride yet, but Dewey needed a field trip so that he can get used to going places and commotion.  The horse expo is at the National Western Complex in Denver and it is a huge venue with all kinds of new stimuli, and I want Dewey to be prepared so he can enjoy his time in the limelight.  Also, I want him to get used to the routine of a horse show, getting braided, loading in the trailer, riding to the show grounds, getting groomed some more, polo wraps, and touring the facility.

We began our day with early breakfast, then I tied him to groom and get him braided.


The hair gel I used for braiding has an apple scent to it.  Dewey was really interested.  My friend was dispensing a small amount into my hand for each braid, and we were lucky that the lid was closed the one time Dewey actually took hold of the container and squeezed!  It was pointed at our photographer and she would have been hosed down in dippity-do!


When Dewey was all braided, beautified, and blanketed I put him in the trailer.  We had practiced this the day before, I led him in by calling him just like I do when we're working at liberty.  Then he ate his evening mash in the trailer.  Because of the tasty practice the night before, on the morning of the show he was quite enthusiastic about loading.

We arrived at CSU and Dewey was very interested in what was going on around us.  It was wonderful to see that when he got a little nervous, his go-to maneuver was to look at me and put his head a little closer to me for reassurance and support.  I love it that he is the same in the round pen at home at liberty as at a horse show with lots of commotion.

It was definitely chilly outside, and when I took Dewey's show sheet off he gave the photographer a look that clearly said, "But - now my BUNS are EXPOSED!"





At a dressage show I wrap the horse's legs in white polo wraps to make him look really sharp.  Since this was a good trial run for Dewey to have the horse show experience I did everything I would normally do for grooming including the braids and polos.  We walked over to the indoor warmup arena.



Because it was a small show run by the CSU Equine Science students, the warm up arena in the indoor was pretty quiet.  Mostly young and green inexperienced horses and some young riders were there to practice being at a horse show.  I don't think there were ever more than four horses in there at a time, so Dewey and I weren't in the way but he got to be part of all the action.





 Dewey was so mellow in the warmup arena.  He walked and trotted with me, did all his stretches and party tricks, and accepted cookies from the Bit of Honey crew who went to stomp around on the bleachers so Dewey could get used to the noise and people being above him.






I love the photo of him in the warmup, with his white polos on, mane braided, taking a bow.  Now that's something you don't see at every dressage show! 

 After Dewey was totally relaxed and good with everything in the indoor warmup arena, we walked around outside a bit.  He checked out the grounds and looked at the other horses who live there.  Everything was really interesting to him, but he was very quiet and well behaved.




We walked over to the other indoor arena, where the actual show was taking place and the judging was happening.  Dewey was calm, we stayed out of the way, and I wasn't worried about him disrupting the show, so we meandered around inside that arena, too. We were fortunate to make a new friend who consented to take a group photo of all of us who had made the excursion to support Dewey. 


Lastly I walked Dewey a few laps around the parking lot, on the pavement, dirt, and gravel, to give him a chance to check out different footing and practice walking around parked cars.  The horse expo has huge parking lots Dewey will need to walk through, so this was good exposure for him. 
We went back to the horse trailer and headed home, my back was sore and Dewey's brain was full.  What a brave young horse to take such a big new experience in stride!  Yet another reason I love OTTBs, after the hectic nature of track training they often handle exciting situations quite well.





1 comment: