Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Border Collie to the Rescue

I was moving big round bales of hay this afternoon with the help of my dogs.  They don't know how to use the tractor, but Miles has a pretty good system going.  I push the bale around with the bucket of my tractor, narrowly missing Miles who is right in the thick of things looking for a way to help.  When I pushed a bale (1400 lbs) into the paddock with the retired horses, the gate swung open and Miles sat in the way so none of the horses could sneak out while I was maneuvering the bale into place.

Sara, the 25 year old arabian, doesn't see very well.  Because I had to roll the bale along instead of just pushing it from the bottom, the pronged bucket on my tractor was just about at face height for little Sara.  She thought about leaving the paddock when the gate was open, but Miles turned her back.  As she haphazardly walked towards the bucket, which was just at the wrong height for her, I shouted, "Sara - no!" which made her pause, and then out of the corner of my eye I saw Miles come rushing to the front of the tractor.  He carefully turned her away from the tractor and aimed her back to eating the hay bale, then he returned to his post in the gateway.

I shouted over the din of the machinery, "Good boy, Miles, thank you!"  He gave me a little howl of acknowledgement.  He is a very chatty dog and quite conversational.  I swear he said, "No problem, just doing my job".

Once I had put the tractor away and taken care of the last of the gates and hay feeders, I stopped to pet Miles and thank him again.  He tilted his head upwards, resting his chin against my knee like he does when he's staring at me.  I asked him how he knows exactly what I need done and when I need it?  He looked me in the eye and with a doggie shrug he replied, "Because I pay attention."

What a dog.  Miles earns his title of Greatest Border Collie Ever on a daily basis.  I think it was a good choice to move him into management.


No comments:

Post a Comment