Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Monday, October 28, 2019

Silver and Ferriana's Jumping

Ferriana and I have found a saddle that both of us like to jump in, and have started breaking it in.  It's currently being altered slightly since I need it just right (as does Ferriana), but I have some video and photos of our adventures in it before I sent it out for adjusting.

In this first video you can see Ferriana weaving a little on her first time through the three stride line.  She cantered around the arena considering how to do it better, and the next time through was nearly flawless.  I just stay out of her way and praise her when she gets it right (which seldom takes more than two tries).  This is the best way to work with a super sensitive intelligent horse like her, because if I were to over-ride her and try to correct her mistakes she'd get frustrated with me interfering.  With this method she learns incredibly quickly because she's not trying to interpret my interference or get into power struggles with me.


Ferriana's latest new experience was going cross country jump schooling at Lory last week.  I took her and Gillian rode Silver.  It was perfect to go with just the two horses, because I knew Silver would go over just about everything and Ferriana could follow him over anything that looked intimidating.  We did need to follow him over a couple fences that she initially jumped just fine on her own, but then lost her confidence and needed to follow him a few times.







This is one super fun eventing horse in the making!


We did some cantering in the fields and popping over logs, and Gillian was kind enough to take this video of us.  The other videos were from my GoPro which was fastened to my helmet, and unfortunately it was angled up just a hair too high so you can't really see what's going on with Ferriana from those.  I did, however, get some fun video of Silver with the GoPro!  Gillian and Silver approach and jump a fence with such great form!


These friendly logs are wonderful for warming up with nervous horses (or riders!) and they are a great confidence booster for both.  Silver and Gillian handled them with no problem, then moved on to more impressive things with big smiles.




No comments:

Post a Comment