Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Camping at Jack's Gulch

I was able to go camping with some old friends last week at Jack's Gulch, up Poudre Canyon off of Pingree Park Road.  We've been there before, but this was our first trip in Sally and Ned's new rig.  I particularly enjoyed the "cooled" seats.  I don't like heated seats because they always make me feel like I have to pee, but the cooling feature was great!


We got to our campsite Thursday evening and got most of it set up.  Miles and I stayed in our two person tent (well, one person, one border collie), and Sally loaned me a great mat that kept most of the dirt out.  


The table was already there, and the second day we put a tent over it because there were thunderstorms and some rain in the afternoons.  Miles did run and bark at the sky and chase them off for us.  Such a great dog with superpowers to control the weather.  Sally was concerned that he had lost sight of me and was running away out of fear, she had forgotten he takes his storm chasing responsibilities very seriously.


We did a lot of riding and hiking with the horses and Judy, Sally's great dane.  There was napping as well after the long rides.


Ned and Sally have a very festive gooseneck trailer with colorful drapes hanging all over.  Miles and Judy had to come to an agreement about sharing Judy's dog bed, since we could hear gunshots and Miles' safe place is the horse trailer when he gets scared.


Our first ride was Friday morning.  I rode Gigi, my friend Linda's chestnut morgan mare.  I've loved this horse for many years, she's just perfect for these kinds of trips.  Steady, quiet, and willing to go anywhere. 






Sally rode Rosie, her bay morgan mare.  She also ponied Casper, a three year old gelding who is Rosie's colt.  Sally has owned Rosie for twelve years, since she was a yearling.  Sally then bred Rosie to a great stallion in Wyoming and got Casper, who she's owned his whole life.



Here is some video of all of us headed down the trail.  Sometimes the Morgan March just needs to be supplemented with some trotting!









Back at camp we ate plenty of good food, and Miles made some special requests for people food.



Our ride on Saturday morning was great fun.  Sally has tons of experience driving horses, she was even the president of our local driving horse club several years ago.  Rosie pulls a cart and has even completed a Combined Driving Event (like the three phase eventing I do, but done driving horses with carts or carriages).  Casper is learning the ways of being a good driving horse, especially off-road, and as part of his life experience Sally ground drove him on our "trail ride" the second day.



Casper is doing so well with his ground driving, to be able to do this outside an arena or controlled area is really great for someone his age!


I rode Rosie and ponied Gigi, who was very pleased to be out with her friends and not having to carry me plus a saddle and saddlebags!  Both mares were excited about Rosie wearing the saddlebags, because I keep them well stocked with horse cookies and I dispense them randomly while we're riding and also when we stop to rest.






Our goal for this ride was to take the horses to a river down the mountain a little ways.  Casper has schooled water in the neighborhood where these three horses live, but a wide river is different than crossing a shallow irrigation ditch or puddles in a driveway!



I did get some videos of the brave baby horse moments.  He is such a thoughtful horse, he was incredibly reasonable about the whole thing.


I forgot my camping chair in Ned and Sally's trailer, and they told me they are holding it hostage until our next trip.  Hopefully we get to do it again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment