Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Saturday, February 17, 2018

Colorado State University - EAAT Clinic and Show

Several weeks ago I taught a clinic and judged a show at CSU for the therapeutic riders. Before everyone mounted I spoke with each rider and asked them what they are currently working on in their riding, what they wanted to work on today, anything they wanted me to know about them or their horses, and if there is anything specific with which they have difficulties or pain issues.  I took notes in my green book to make sure I had everyone's names right, and jotted down the details for each rider to make sure I was able to address their specific needs.


Once everyone was mounted, in the morning I worked with the group on equitation.  This included full seat, two point, and half seat, and we used Edwina the human skeleton, as well as Audrey, the horse skeleton to demonstrate the different positions
.


After we had reviewed the basics, I sent the riders out to the rail to show me how their current positions looked so I could get a baseline for how they ride. 







Then the riders came into the center of the arena again, and I made adjustments to their positions from there. 







We also went through how the trail obstacles should be ridden, with an emphasis on going slowly and being very accurate with steering.  By the time we were done practicing the trail obstacles it was time to break for lunch. 

After everyone had eaten, the riders mounted up again and we did a series of rides that were run more like a therapeutic riding horse show.  Each rider performed in an equitation class on the rail, and then had their turn riding through the trail class obstacles. 

It was a very fun day, and the riders seemed to feel like it was helpful.  I received lots of positive feedback from the riders and their family members, many of whom said this was their rider's first experience in a clinic setting.  Everyone was safe, the horses were quiet and steady gems, and we called it a great success!

No comments:

Post a Comment