Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Lesson Weekend

Had a fun lesson today with Lisa Smit of Brevard Equestrian in Grant, FL.  She travels out to Colorado approximately once a month to teach out of a friend's barn and I've been able to take a few lessons with her.  The first lesson I took was on Highboy because Monty had thrown a shoe the day before, and Highboy was ridiculous.  I appreciated the advise on my position and equitation, but Highboy did not make my ride easy. 

Today was much better, I rode Monty with all of his shoes, and Joyce rode her Arabian, Khreed in our little group lesson.  The best part of these lessons for me is having eyes on the ground to catch the little things I need changed in my riding.  For example, because I spend so much time on young or green horses, my default is a very defensive seat so that if the horse bolts or bucks I can stay mounted.  I also spend most of my time in two point position in order to keep off the backs of the fresh from the track Thoroughbreds.  This works well for those purposes, but ends up being a hindrance for my dressage riding. 

When I watch video or see photos of myself riding I know I'm my own worst critic, but I always get frustrated with my dressage.  It has been immensely helpful to have Lisa here to help me correct the simple habits I needed adjusted.  If someone just tells me what to do I can do it, but without mirrors in the arena it's hard to make those corrections on my own.

 Monty also was pleased with our progress. 

Joyce and Khreed had a good ride as well!


No comments:

Post a Comment