Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Antelope Runs

On many of the early morning gallops this summer out in the back forty we were accompanied by herds of antelope.  It started in the spring.  I would watch from the house as large groups of antelope, two dozen or more, would all approach the fence line shared with the west pasture horses.  When those four horses charged the fence, the antelope didn't run away as I expected.  Instead, all the horses and antelope ran up and down the fence line together!  They enjoyed a large game of tag or sprint races or something, and I was amazed that the wild creatures didn't leave.  Perhaps they knew that the horses were also herbivores and not to be feared?


This friendly approach on the part of the antelope continued into the summer.  As the weather tends to do as June becomes July, it got pretty hot pretty early in the day.  To be able to work the horses, especially on conditioning gallops, I would get up just as the sun rose and start riding before things heated up.  This hazy dawn hour seems to be prime grazing time for the antelope.  I would ride a horse out to the back forty while it was still cool out, and we would run into these herds.  We were literally running into the herds, galloping right into the circle of grazing animals.  To my amazement, the antelope would then surround me and the horse, and run with us.  It was quite an experience to be on a racing horse, the wind rushing through my eyes making them stream tears, while entirely surrounded by antelope so close I could hear their hooves patting the ground.  It feels sacred to me, to move so fast with these untamed creatures.

The antelope also seem to have a sense of humor.  I usually ride with my dogs, who over-zealously pursue anything that moves in hopes that they will someday catch a jackrabbit.  The dogs also try to  chase the antelope.  When there is just one antelope hanging around it will taunt the dogs, staying just close enough that the dogs think they have a chance, but just far enough away that they really don't.  When there is a whole herd of antelope the dogs will go running at top speed towards the herd.  The antelope will take off at a leisurely lope, swinging around in broad circles around me and my horse, dancing in figure eights until the dogs are too tired to keep up.  I can almost hear them snickering at the dogs' entirely futile efforts.  

We are solidly into fall and I haven't seen as many antelope now that the mornings are downright cold.  I have Dewey in training, and we have been galloping out in the fields, sans antelope.  I've been working with Dewey in the arena over ground poles and little cross rails to teach him where his feet should be going, and riding out in the fields for the same reason.  I have some great hills here (butt muscles for everyone!) and Dewey is getting pretty good at maneuvering his feet.

This morning Dewey and I went for a walk with the dogs in the first pasture where the ponds are.  This time of year they are all dried up so I have great footing in the bottoms, but I also have ledges to hop up and down with the horses as they walk in and out of the pond depression.  This gentle hill work helps strengthen Dewey's haunches, and teaches him how to be more coordinated as he adjusts to his quickly growing body.

After we were done with the ponds, Dewey and I headed for the west property line.  We trotted all the way out there with Mahzi and Miles, and then Dewey said he was ready to do some galloping.  I let him gallop the perimeter of the property, then I brought him back to the trot to make sure he paid attention to his feet as we traversed the hills and the dogs caught up.  Dewey said he sure enjoyed feeling the need for speed, even though it wasn't for a great distance.  I love when the retired racehorses get to really open up and run in the fields.  I feel like they're fulfilling their calling when they run just for the joy of it, and I have the blessing of being on their back as they do so.  I feel even more grateful when I have a horse who was physically unable to run like this, who made it through extensive rehabilitation, and then is able to enjoy the wind between his ears.  Dewey wasn't a rehab horse, but Highboy sure was.  It's so satisfying to know I made his life better just as he enriches mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=Vtgsbzwik5M


This video is from a few weeks ago when Dewey was being ridden by his owner, Rebecca.  We did one lap around the field, and I took the first part of the video.  Notice how he almost looks drunk, winging his front feet and crossing them, and his head bobbing in every direction.  After a second lap I took another short video.  In the second part he is moving his head only up and down, and he is placing his feet much more confidently and in a straight line.  This is all in one ride, and a good example of how effectively riding on uneven terrain works for the young horses, whether or not they are ready to run with the antelope.




No comments:

Post a Comment