Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Friday, May 8, 2015

Western Dressage Association of America Train the Trainers Clinic

I was able to go to Oklahoma this week to attend a Western Dressage Association Train the Trainers Clinic.  I'm now officially a proud graduate of this program!


My good friend Carrie who lives in Oklahoma picked me up from the airport and she helped me at the clinic.  This was my first plane flight since the brain injury I had in 2008 and I had a bit of a rough time, so I was grateful to have a good friend who could help me with the airport as well as the clinic. Plus it's always good to catch up with an old friend and enjoy some equine education with her!

The clinic was held at Joyful Noise Farm in Pryor, OK.  It was really a beautiful facility with thick rubber cobblestone mats in the barn aisle and interesting footing I'd never seen before in the indoor arena.  Carrie said the footing was just like a substance her kids play with called Moon Sand.  The horses seemed to travel well on it and there was practically no dust.  There was also a great balcony type viewing area above the arena and a sound system so we could all hear the clinicians speaking.


I learned a lot of details about Western Dressage that I'd been interested in for some time.  This is a relatively new discipline, it's been around for approximately five years and is now sanctioned by the US Equestrian Federation.  The WDAA explains itself in this way:

"Western Dressage is a new equine discipline that extends the benefits of classical dressage to every horse, regardless of breed.  Dressage skills can expand the capabilities of a western horse by improving a horse's strength, cadence and rhythm.  It offers an enhanced riding experience.  At the same time, it celebrates the western traditions of a light, respectful, and compassionate partnership with the horse."

In the clinic I was happy to hear them highlight some of the wonderful parts of this discipline's mission statement
1 - honor the horse
2 - honor the partnerhip between horse and rider
3 - honor the western tradition


 The mornings sessions were unmounted discussion regarding the similarities and differences between Western Dressage and other disciplines including classical dressage, reining, western cow work, or western pleasure.  We also had some lecture explaining the particulars of tack, rules, and maneuvers, and we divided into groups for teaching mock riding lessons.



The afternoons were used for mounted work.  We were able to watch several local horses and riders demonstrate various maneuvers and techniques, and the clinicians discussed gaits and half halts.  They also covered some new-to-me exercises and ideas that I'm excited to try out here at Bit of Honey Training with the horses and my students.  The last part of the mounted sessions we watched two horse and rider pairs demonstrate riding a western dressage test.   This gave us the opportunity to judge and score them which I appreciated as a chance to refine my eye.


It was a wonderful clinic with kind and friendly horse people, in a gorgeous facility, where everyone learned something and came away with new friendships and professional contacts.  Definitely worth the trip!



No comments:

Post a Comment