Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Saturday, November 18, 2017

Saturday Schooling

Today we took Highboy and Miss Pea out for a little dressage schooling here at home.  Kim H. got some great photos as usual.


Highboy was so pleased to be going out to play.  He always likes to enjoy a little pre-ride makeout session, too.  I swear he smooches me and I can hear him saying, "you're my favorite human".




I did some experimenting today with arm weights.  Not to increase my cardio while aboard the horse, but to heighten my awareness of what I was doing with my hands and arms.  It certainly did that!  I tried wearing them just below my elbows, and just above them.  The lower placement of the weights made me much more aware of what I was doing with my hands which resulted in holding my forearms parallel to the ground (where they should be for dressage).  The higher placement of the weights caused me to keep my elbows closer in to my body, and keep my upper arms perpendicular to the ground (where they should be for dressage).

When I began riding more correctly there was a pronounced change in Highboy.  He lifted his shoulders and began pushing more with his hind end since his shoulders were out of his way.  He also developed much more steady contact with my hands, probably because I was actually there for him to connect to.  


Jasi and Miss Pea had a good quiet ride as well.  They are in the process of breaking in a new Stubben dressage saddle.  I recently acquired it as part of a company sale from Stubben for a screaming deal.  Miss Pea liked the saddle and so did Jasi, which means after it's broken in we can get serious working on their flat work.





It's such fun to see both girls having a good time and smiling so big!


The dogs were "helping" today as well.  It's always funny to compare Miles' border collie intensity with Mahzi's laid back lab temperament.





No comments:

Post a Comment