Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Friday, September 11, 2026

Learning the Dressage Tests

Since Lynx came to me for training and much of my background is in eventing, with plenty of endurance, cow work, trail riding, and classical dressage sprinkled in!  Sometimes I wonder if I ended up eventing because I loved fast trailrides over big jumps, or because I couldn't decide on one discipline!  Either way I can find all kinds of options for a horse as a career after racing!  As a result, Lynx has had a very full and well rounded education over these past nine weeks! 

A portion of that time has been spent introducing him to basic dressage. Since correct dressage really is the foundation for anything else he might go on to do, this has been an important piece of his learning here. 

As Nationals starts just one week from today, we've been reviewing the skills from the two dressage tests he'll do there.  While he does canter here at home on each lead, and even gives me pretty clean flying lead changes while we're out galloping in the fields, he's not yet balanced enough to do it slowly on a twenty meter circle.  Because of that I've entered him in USDF Intro A & B, which are walk/trot tests.  I want to set him up to be super confident at the show!

Of course we warm up and cool off by walking around in the fields with the dogs. They're good about assisting with the dressage schooling, but do enjoy our morning hacks.


If you're curious how a person can memorize a dressage test, you can go to this blog post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment