Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Welcome to Dewey!

Announcement: Doit's Cat is here at Bit of Honey Training!  Dewey is my horse for the 2015 Equine Comeback Challenge to be held in Denver, Colorado in March.  I have 90 days to work with him, and then I'll present him at the expo and show him off.  He will be representing the OTTBs that are available through CANTER Colorado and he'll be showing as an exhibition ride.  He's quite an attractive horse, dark bay with a tiny dime-sized star on his forehead.  He has balanced conformation and is at a good weight, despite having grown several inches since CANTER took him into their aftercare program in July.  He is probably 16 hands, perhaps 16.1, I need to measure him to be sure.  He also is quite goofy and has a really fun personality as a three year old. 

Dewey is settling in well.  When we got home I put boots on him (all 4 and bell boots, just in case) and let him play in the round pen while I taught my lessons for the afternoon so he could watch.  He had several good rolls in the sand and romped around a bit.  I got a short cute video of him being goofy and several photos.
 

I then got my horses arranged so Dewey had a pen/stall for himself and put him away.  He was excited for a little mash and the open buffet of hay, and despite being unfamiliar with me he let me brush him and put a blanket on.  It's a lot colder here than in the heated barn where I picked him up, but at least he has room to move around and goof off, with buddies over the fence. 

Dewey did pull back when tied with nothing behind him, but I set him up so he's not tied solid, just a LONG lead rope draped around the post.  I was trying to wrestle a rubber bell boot onto him and he needed a little slower introduction to noisy rubber boots.  So when he pulled back he didn't run out of rope, didn't break anything, and didn't actually get loose because we were in his paddock.  Since I was right there, too, no harm done.  I got different (velcro) bell boots on him that should work fine until he's a little more relaxed and knows me better. 
I'm excited to get him going for the Comeback Challenge.  I'm also so pleased Dewey's trip home was uneventful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment