Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Carry On Carry On

I have had loose ligaments in my left ankle since I was a kid and first sprained it jumping down the stairs in my hurry to go on a bike ride with my friend around the neighborhood.  Since then I've re-sprained it many times, and for that reason I always wear lace-up boots for barn chores so that I can cinch the boot tight to support my flimsy ankle.  If I'm not in tightly cinched boots I have paddock boots with half chaps on to support my ankles.  But despite my efforts to remain injury-free, as I was walking in the ponies' flat paddock to toss hay to the horses yesterday I somehow managed to roll my left ankle so that it folded over to the outside completely.  It hurt.  I said several bad words rather loudly, and sat on the ground while Garmin and Cosmo came over to eat the hay I had dropped.  Then the dogs came over to check on me.  Mahzi pounced on me thinking I needed a good wrestle to cheer me up, and Miles quickly got between her and me, allowing me to attempt to compose myself.  Now I have a left ankle that looks more like a large purple potato than a body part.  I mentioned to my friend (who is building my tack room wall) what happened, and I somewhat sheepishly told her I just iced it and wrapped it and kept working.  She gave me a knowing look and said that in ranching circles that's called "workman's comp", that you compensate so you can keep working. 

No comments:

Post a Comment