Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Herd Dynamics


With all the transfers at Bit of Honey in the last week we have some new herd dynamics.  The new boys are Taz the palomino, and Nitro the black and white paint.  Taz arrived first and proved himself to be a gentle and affectionate soul.  When Nitro arrived two days later the weather was just starting to turn, and he was sort of unsure about his new surroundings with so much wind.  Now that he's been here a few days and understands the feeding routine around here he has gotten bossy.  I had him living in the paddock with Taz, but by this afternoon Nitro was getting quite rough with the little guy, and there were several new large tears in Taz's borrowed blanket.  Nitro was also getting progressively more demanding with me, walking into me and if I didn't move, turning his butt towards me and backing up.  These are terrible manners for a horse, and very unsafe behaviors.  When he was being borderline aggressive towards me I actually whacked him on the head with a bucket to get him off of me, and he was BARELY reacting to that.  Because it's so cold (high today was 8) and I don't want to be outside much, nor can I work the horses hard when the air is this cold without doing damage to their lungs, I needed an alternative to managing Nitro's discipline myself.

Initially I moved Nitro into the paddock with Cole, who is quite a dictator himself.  Nitro and Cole immediately got into a kicking match (no one was hurt) and unfortunately Nitro came out as in charge.  I can't have that; the need is for Nitro to have a spot beneath another horse in the herd hierarchy to teach him some respect and manners. 

Samson in 2010

So I called in the big guns.  Samson had been in the North paddock babysitting Major for a few weeks, but Samson is BY FAR my best herd manager.  That's why he's so good for Major, he doesn't allow Major to be in charge (big herd decisions stress out poor Major)*.  I went to halter Samson and as I did so I explained to him that we had a new gelding who needed some discipline and I really appreciate all the work Samson does to keep the herd running smoothly.  He carefully walked with me over to the other paddock through the ice and snow.  When he sniffed Taz he began to puff himself up and I said, "no, this one's ok, it's the other new kid".  Samson immediately ignored Taz and proceeded to march with me to the far paddock gate, where he majestically entered with his head held high, appearing at least four inches taller.  He gave a nod to Cole, he gave a nod to Highboy, and then he determinedly walked toward Nitro.  Nitro went up to him and touched noses.  Without any drama or fuss, Samson just tilted his head and gave Nitro a LOOK, and Nitro instantly backed up, letting Samson have his pick of the hay piles.   I think this will work quite well.  Thank goodness for Samson.  Once things thaw out a bit Nitro and I will revisit the "how we treat humans" chapter of the lesson manual, but this will keep the boy in check in the meantime.

Samson playing with Tally the dog in 2010


*I did move Tao the haflinger pony over to Major's pen so he at least wouldn't be by himself.  Tao was thrilled to have unlimited access to the big hay bale.

No comments:

Post a Comment