This morning I released the hounds, and let both Mahzi and Pascal come with me and Lynx on our ride. Pascal is a little more active and vocal a riding companion than Mahzi, which was a bit of an adjustment for Lynx, who's quite acclimated to Mahzi's casual demeanor. There was only one piece of drama when Pascal was running around in circles excitedly, and Lynx decided he was being irritating, and lunged at him while I was standing nearby.
I don't get loud very often with my animals, but when there's a safety issue I can be pretty intense, and instantaneously. I bellowed "ENOUGH!" and startled both the horse and the dog into stopping their antics. Lynx then stood perfectly still, and Pascal left the ring to go corner a barn cat... who then proceeded to beat him up. It was kind of a rough start to the day for the dog.
Good thing is, once I'd interrupted the kerfuffle, I could go right back to being quiet and steady. Lynx was a little cautious with me for a moment and then realized my consternation was specific to the situation and he didn't need to be concerned about me after it was over.
Once I had my helmet and boots on and Lynx was tacked up I called Pascal back, and we all headed out to hack around the fields and neighborhood. Lynx watched Pascal carefully for the first few minutes, then realized Pascal would just tag along for the ride and didn't worry anymore. I did at least remember to put bells on both dogs, though Mahzi lost hers early in the ride. Good thing I buy those in bulk so I always have spares.
We've started trotting out in the fields, and hopping over crossrails. I like to introduce this early in a horse's training so it feels like no big deal, that way if he moves forward into a career in trail riding, eventing, or foxhunting, moving at speed in the open is a basic skill he's already had from nearly the beginning of his riding training. Add in boisterous dogs, and he can handle nearly everything.
https://youtu.be/ochWncKyOoA?is=o2H5FIQc92g5sAL0




No comments:
Post a Comment