Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Monday, August 9, 2021

Camping in Wyoming

Last week I went camping with Raven, Dewey, Rizzo, and Pascal.  Carol, Shambhu, Ladd, and Bhakti joined us for the first day, then actually had to head home because another camper's dog bit Ladd on his back leg and it was in a bad place to cause further problems.  After Carol left, Owen then joined me the next day so I could stay and do my whole trip.

We parked and camped at the horse corrals just North of Vedauwoo off of I-80 in Wyoming. I'd been to Vedauwoo before but never to these particular corrals and trails.  They are really well built and safe, but previous campers didn't disperse their manure very well so there were a lot of flies when it got hot.  The corrals themselves were clean, but manure had been dumped all over around the corrals instead of properly spread out so it would break down.  I was glad we'd brought fly sheets and bug spray for those couple afternoons when it was hot. 


 

The first day (before the dog bit Ladd), I rode Raven and Carol rode Shambhu.  We explored around the campsite and in the big field that had a stock water tank in it.



This photo of Rizzo leading the way for Carol and Shambhu, frolicking with her ears flapping in the wind makes me smile.

For the next ride I was on my own, I took the dogs and rode Dewey out the forest service road until I got to some trails.  We ended up doing a six mile loop Friday.  Dewey was incredible, super laid back but with a nice forward walk, never spooking and rarely putting a foot wrong.






 

By Saturday Owen had joined me, but an incredible amount of smoke in the air from wildfires in states to the west of us had blown into the area.  Because we didn't want to exercise in such poor quality air we ended up hanging out and reading, snacking, and napping most of the day.  



By afternoon much of the smoke had moved out so Owen and I went for a quick run/ride with Raven and the dogs.  We did the same six mile loop I'd done with Dewey the day before.  Raven was very "up" and much more forward than normal, which made me think she needs lots more of these chill rides to separate trail rides from cross country runs.  Additionally I'll have the vet check her out to make sure she's not painful somewhere causing her to be so agitated.




Our last day there Owen and I went exploring with Dewey and the dogs.  Because all these trails are new to us we ended up in some very technical areas, with lots of rocks, steep inclines, and drop-offs.  We also passed through groves of aspen trees which will be stunning in a few weeks when the leaves turn yellow, and some gorgeous meadows in between trails through mountain passes.  We crossed water a couple times and went down a mountainside that was rocky enough that Dewey had to basically squat down with his hind end, and then carefully place his front feet down each rocky step.  




  

 








 

Here are more videos from Dewey's long ride.  These are the easy portions of the trails we covered, because I forgot my GoPro (why can't I remember to put it on my helmet?!) I was holding my cell phone with one hand and neck reining with the other.







This ride was just over 12 miles and four hours.  It was definitely the longest ride Dewey has done, with the most difficult terrain he's ever seen.  He managed all this extremely well, with very little guidance from me.  He has now officially earned his title of Barefoot Mountain Thoroughbred, so he joins the ranks of Highboy, Raven, and Note with that esteemed distinction.

I love these photos of the dogs napping back at the trailer.  They are usually super busy and "on" all the time, so capturing them asleep is always fun.  Rizzo loves her camping mat, when she's not sleeping in my chair.

Pascal thought that the mattress and pillows in the gooseneck of the trailer were pretty awesome, though he actually prefers to spend his nights sleeping in his crate on top of the bureau. 



It was such a fun trip, despite the smoke and Carol needing to head home early.  I'm grateful to have these amazing trails and campgrounds so close to home, only about an hour drive.  Hopefully we'll get to go back in September and see the leaves turn my favorite shade of yellow!

No comments:

Post a Comment