Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Early Morning Jumping

I was in the saddle by 5:30am today to ride before the heat of the day.  We were able to get some fun shots of Highboy and Silver in their jumping sessions!











Silver and I are working on saddle fit again, and potentially some different bits or no bit at all. He has changed so much physically since he arrived a couple months ago that he now needs a very different shape tree.  To tell me that things aren't fitting like they used to, he's been having some Racehorse Moments.



I appreciate that he just gets fast when things aren't right, rather than bucking or really behaving badly.  Silver's very accommodating, though, and has been patient as I work on getting the fit correct for him.  Fortunately we have had enough retired racehorses here to be retrained as sporthorses that it's not a big deal to ride through his speedy moments.  He is fast, and it can be intimidating to balance him around corners at that pace, so for now I'm the only one riding him until I get the tack re-sorted out and he quiets down again.


Meanwhile, I'm still jumping him a little.  Silver really took his walk-over exercise last week to heart, and is now jumping everything in a much more powerful manner.  I enjoy his athleticism, but now we need to find the balance between power and control.





When Silver is really relaxed I have visions of him being a lovely hunter with his long swinging trot.  Though he also enjoys the occasional big fence!

No comments:

Post a Comment