Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Sunday, March 31, 2019

Turkey Rescue

This morning the dogs were barking at some people walking around in our front pasture.  When I went outside to investigate I found my neighbors who live just north of us circling the loafing shed that doesn't have a horse living in it.  Shane and Cheryl pointed out the very large turkey who was hunkered down within the wooden structure.  They explained that it lived with it's buddy across the street, but had roamed to their yard early this morning.  Their dogs had chased it off, and while its friend ran home, this turkey sought refuge within my empty loafing shed.


Miles and Forrest made a couple attempts at chasing it, but I was able to call them off and send them back to the garage because the poor creature was super stressed.  All the humans did some brainstorming, and we decided to go with my idea of putting a dog crate in the loafing shed, then herding the turkey in with a large towel.  Owen and Shane carried the crate into the shed, then I tossed a towel over the turkey's head.  I gently grasped its neck just behind its head and guided it into the crate, where it crouched down and continued to hide in the crate under the towel.


Once I had shut the door, Owen and Shane picked up the crate and put it in the back of Shane's truck. He and Cheryl took the turkey home, and then returned my crate.



During all this kerfuffle Highboy watched intensely from across the driveway, insisting that he could come help! 


Beauty and June watched the action from their paddock, too.



One large feather came off the turkey while the dogs had been chasing it, and so we have a large striped souvenir of our morning turkey rescue!

No comments:

Post a Comment