Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Sunday, February 17, 2019

Rush Returns!

Whenever I sell a horse, whether it's one of my own or for a client, I put in the sale contract that the horse can always come back to Bit of Honey.  I'm particular about what kind of horse I'll take into training to be sold, because I do put my name on the horse for life to help protect them should circumstances throw the new owners a curve ball.  Maybe the new owner is in a car accident and can't take care of the horse any longer, the horse goes lame for some reason or no reason at all.  No matter what, the horse can always return to Bit of Honey if they are ever in need of a place to land.

Over the years I have occasionally had this happen, and I'm always grateful when the buyer returns the horse to me.  This is my way of ensuring that the horse will always be safe and never end up sold "down the road".  This weekend Rush came back to Bit of Honey after life got in the way, and we are so happy to have him back!


Rush is beginner safe, and has been content as a husband horse on several occasions.  He has lots of experience trail riding and is fun to ride in the arena as well.  He is sixteen years old and about 16.1 hands tall.  He is a retired racehorse, an appendix (thoroughbred/quarter horse) who is one of the kindest souls I've worked with.  He is easy to handle on the ground and while riding, and despite being out of work for at least six months, he was remarkably good for me when I got on him today.  He does have several large melanomas, but they have been thoroughly examined by the veterinarian and an ultrasound done on them.  Rush was given a clean bill of health and we were told there's no reason he wouldn't be happy and riding for another ten years.






My plan is to work him into the lesson program since he is quiet for beginners as well as gentle and sound.  If the right person shows up I would consider selling him, but otherwise I'm very pleased to have him back in the barn as a lesson horse.  Now for a warm day to get this grey horse sparkly white again!

Here is his video with me riding this morning after who knows how much time off.  He was well behaved, and despite being out of shape he felt good enough to try to play some with the dogs!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9AKURINJaE

No comments:

Post a Comment