Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Get the Most Out of Your Riding Lessons

Periodically I come across articles that list ways to get the most out of your riding lessons or how to be a good riding student.  It always strikes me how different things are here at Bit of Honey because most of the suggestions in those articles are not what I would recommend for lessons here. I think that is partly because of my instructor certification in Centered Riding and how that encourages a very experiential teaching method, and partly my own preferences for teaching and learning.  I want to put forth my own guidelines for riding lessons here at Bit of Honey Training.  These may not be the best advice to use at another barn, but they will help substantially here.

 

1.  Ask questions.  I have a reason for why I do the things I do in a certain way, and I'm always eager to explain.   Information usually sticks better when you know the "why" behind the procedure or technique.  Plus, if I don't have a good explanation and reason, it means I should probably reconsider how I'm doing something to ensure that it is, in fact, the best way to do it.  As an instructor I am never threatened by questions, I see them as a sign of genuine interest and effort on the part of the student.

2.  Give feedback.  If you are nervous about trying something, tell me.  If you are genuinely afraid of cantering through a gymnastic, I always have ways to modify an exercise to make it simpler or less intimidating.  However, if you are at a point in your riding where I'm sure you can do it, I may tell you "it's OK to be scared, do it anyway".

If something doesn't make sense to you, tell me.  I have a dozen ways to teach any one concept, and if one explanation or technique isn't working for you, I guarantee I have another way to get the idea across.  I also have  wonderful network of colleagues who teach differently than I do, and I am happy to refer my clients if I think you or your horse might learn better from one of them.  Ultimately I want you to learn and succeed!

If some part of your body hurts, tell me.  Usually if there is a loud muscle or joint saying ouch, something needs to be adjusted in your position.  Most of these things are simple fixes in the form of slight angle changes in your torso, legs, or limbs, and I'm pretty good at identifying and making those corrections.  However, I'm truly a terrible mind reader, and I need you to tell me if something is painful so we can fix it.

3.  Do your homework.  If you have your own horse this may look like exercises to work on during your rides in the time between lessons.  If you are using a lesson horse your homework might be various stretches, or even some visualization practice.  At your next lesson report back on how it went, and if there were any difficulties or things with which you need help. I also want to know what you enjoyed and what worked well!  That gives me information about what types of things help you most.

4.  Set up a lesson schedule that is a good fit for you.  I have some students who benefit most from riding in three lessons each week so that they can be closely supervised and small corrections in their riding can be made early and often.  I have other students who do better with one lesson each month so they have plenty of time to practice and make the most progress in between lessons.  Others prefer once weekly lessons.  You have to determine what makes the most sense for you, your horse, and your wallet.  Of course I'm happy to be part of the conversation and advise you if you aren't sure, there are many schedules you can use to get better at riding.


5. Practice positive self talk.  So often we berate ourselves or our horses for little mistakes.  What rider hasn't said to herself at some point, "Don't be so tense!  You'll never get it if you keep bouncing!"  A better way to phrase this would be, "I'm getting better at relaxing.  I am making progress at sitting the trot."  These small adjustments in the way you talk to yourself and your horse make a big difference in what type of brain chemicals your body produces, which then affects how well you ride.







No comments:

Post a Comment