Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Name that Bay Contest

I got a new horse!  Of course, it's a bay.


Now we need to name her, but I need suggestions!  Once we have a pool of ideas we'll have a vote to decide on a good moniker.


But wait, there's more!  In college I studied a lot of anatomy and neurobiology, and that education has served me and my clients quite well in my post-degree life of horse training and riding instruction.  Recently I came across an excellent website  www.anatomywarehouse.com  that sells a wide range of anatomical models and skeletons.  They have everything from very affordable kids' stuff to doctorate level detail.  During my convalescence (and subsequent online shopping) after back surgery last month I splurged on some client education materials and the first of my models arrived today!

 To keep her insides clean there is a clear plastic lid to enclose her, which can be removed.
While she's not entirely anatomically correct (there are some major things missing like a bladder, some big blood vessels as well as reproductive organs) she has enough removable parts to give people a pretty good idea of what a horse looks like on the inside.  I especially like her removable bones.


 
We can also take out several internal organs to get a look at approximately what shape they are and where they belong (as well as how tack fitting can affect body parts!)  As a very tactile learner myself something like this would have been great for my early exploits into anatomy.  As an instructor I understand that the more learning modalities a student integrates into an educational experience the better they learn something.  Being able to handle pieces of a horse gives you a kinesthetic experience, looking at the parts is a visual experience, and listening to or talking about them is an auditory experience.  I'm excited to see what all this mare can teach! 

So send me your best ideas for names for this fine young mare and we'll have a vote on what to call the new girl!

1 comment:

  1. How about Bare Beauty? or Bare Necessities?

    Shambhu and Shiloh

    ReplyDelete