Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Teaching at Coal Creek Stables

This past weekend we went to Denver again to teach at Coal Creek Stables.  We did a bunch of work on saddle fitting, body positioning, keeping human arms and leg joints soft and supple, and even some jumping gymnastic work.

The first saddle fitting session was a precursor to Pat's riding lesson on his gelding, Rush.  Watching him in the cross-ties, I noticed Rush's back muscle had changed since the last time I saw him, and his posture was slightly different.  I checked his back and he was a bit sore, and when I palpated his haunches through his hamstrings he was sore there as well.  I checked the saddle that he was being ridden in, and found it wasn't a good fit, it bridged significantly and was too wide, which was causing pressure points in several areas.  Rush is such a quiet sort, he never complained, just braced and got a bit tense when the saddle was being cinched.  We were able to use a different western saddle for him that was padded appropriately, and got him significantly more comfortable.  He had some nice back stretches by lowering his head during his ride, which he wouldn't really do in the other saddle because lifting his back into an ill-fitting saddle was painful and uncomfortable.
Stretching his back by lowering his head and stepping well underneath himself with his hind leg

Finding the neon pink plumb line to keep Pat balanced in the saddle
The other saddle fitting this weekend included a test ride with a new/used saddle for a sweet chestnut arabian, and his petite owner.  They have been looking for a saddle for months to fit his very wide and very short back.  I had looked at him last month when I was there teaching, and had been keeping my eyes open for something that might work.  I stopped by one of our excellent local tack stores here in Fort Collins, Sport Horse Tack, and I discovered a used Pessoa all purpose english saddle with slightly more of a forward seat for jumping.  It looked promising to me, so I took the saddle on trial to see if it might fit the arabian.  We were so fortunate - it was a lovely fit, the price was right,  the rider sat quite nicely in it, and most importantly the horse loved it.  Success!

Discussing with Carol on Obie, Michelle on Bo, who also had a saddle fitting.  His looked great.
As is usually the case, I had assistance with my instruction this weekend.  The barn cat was careful to supervise my communication style and be sure he was on hand for video.







No comments:

Post a Comment