Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Friday, August 21, 2020

Newborn Foal

Last night I got a text from Ferriana's owner saying that Elle, a pregnant mare at her place, was in the first stage of labor.  I didn't get too excited since stage one can last hours.  However, shortly after that I got another text that Elle was lying down and a foot was out.  For a maiden mare she got through stage one pretty quickly!

Jasi, Kim H., and I all hopped into the car to go see the new baby.  We got there just after the foal had emerged and was lying in the corner, still wet.  Jasi had brought her camera so we got plenty of fun photos.

The baby tried and tried to stand on her own, a determined little chestnut filly!  After about ninety minutes I stepped in to help the baby.  I wrapped my arms around her chest as well around her haunches under her tail.  I just steadied her on her feet until she got her land legs.  Once she was up and steady-ish she wanted to go get a drink, which is what she's supposed to do.  The first milk that a mare produces is called colostrum and has all kinds of antibodies to boost the foal's immune system so it's really important that she get that.  I gently helped her aim for Elle and her udder, and the filly got a few good swallows in.  



 












 

It was so refreshing to be there to welcome a youngster into the world, thinking about all the amazing things she might do.  I'm so grateful it was a smooth and quick delivery, and that Elle and the filly are doing so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment