Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Snow Day

We've had our first big snow of the season, resulting in about 16" of white stuff for us, and about 35" of white stuff for one of my clients who lives in the foothills.  It did blow around at my place, so we had some pretty deep drifts (like to mid-thigh), as well as some spots that were covered with just about an inch.

When we got up and realized everything was cancelled for a snow day we decided to take the dogs out to play in back.  Kasey and Mahzi have started realizing the routine Kim H and I have of going for a walk in the back forty on weekends when Kim H. is off work.  Now if she comes up to eat breakfast with me in the morning the dogs are pretty sure it means party time.




It was deep for puppy Pascal, but he did his best to keep up with the big dogs.  I had to pause and tell him how smart and brave he was and how good he was to try so hard to keep up!





Rizzo is such a great jumping athlete.  It makes me wish I had more time to train her for dog jumping competitions, but I can barely keep up with my horse jumping competitions, and she doesn't seem to care if the show is all about her or not.



Mahzi is such a chill dog.  It's hard to believe she was such an intense border collie when she was younger.  Two years, 30 lbs, and a decision to retire as a house dog doing guard work have made for a happy life for this lab. 



Next we turned out horses in the fields, round pen, and arena to play.  Thankfully we have good footing under all this fluffy white powder, so it worked out well to let the horses play together.


While they all look like dark bays, we actually have several different horses here.  This first photo is of Beauty, who is actually a blue roan when she sheds out.


 This next one is Beauty running with Raven.


Rain is our rockstar lesson horse with the blue eye.


Raven again, and all three girls together.  They can only be turned out in a large pasture as a group, otherwise there are too many hierarchy discussions among these strong willed mares.



 Note running in the round pen, and kicking up his heels.


Highboy and Dewey got some turnout time in the arena and made the most of it playing together.





Highboy rests his chin on my head often, probably to remind me that I'm actually quite small next to him.  I also imagine he's expressing ownership and stating, "This is my human.  There are others like her, but this one is mine."


While the geldings were playing I spent a little time with Pascal and Rizzo in the arena.  I adore these dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment