Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Sunday, January 1, 2017

Riding Out 2016

I had a great last day of 2016, I taught several riding lessons and got to ride my own horse over fences. 

Kim H. was bravely riding her mare Rain while I was on Highboy and she was practicing her leads at the canter as well as hopping over some of the cross rails.  It's very fun to see her making such progress with Rain.




Highboy hasn't been ridden for a little over a month so the start of my ride with him was a little silly.  I lunged him (with Mahzi and Miles helping of course) and as soon as I sent him out on the lunge line he walked to the edge of the arena and laid down.  All tacked up wearing saddle and everything.  I threw a little temper tantrum and waved the whip around which got him up in a hurry before any damage was done to the tack and he proceeded to jump around on the line to let out a little steam.



Once he was behaving well enough that I could get on, I mounted and he trotted around sprightly on his tip toes for a while.  Eventually he put on his game face and we got to some jumping with he finds infinitely more interesting.


However, the beginning of the jumping session was ridiculous with Highboy cavorting around and doing things as awkwardly as possible to entertain himself.






Thankfully he did finally put his brain back in his head and got some good jumps in.









If "success is when what you do becomes who you are", I feel successful as 2016 draws to a close.  I enjoy training horses; I am a trainer.  Highboy loves jumping; he is jumper.  It's been a good year.

No comments:

Post a Comment