Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Sunday, June 7, 2015

Triple Crown Winner and Thoughts on Racing




I was excited to watch the Belmont Stakes yesterday, and to see American Pharaoh sweep the field.  The last time a horse won the Triple Crown by winning the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness, and the Belmont was in 1978 when Affirmed did it.


As the internet buzzes about American Pharaoh and horse racing in general, I want to add my opinion to the mix.  There are lots of negative media presentations about horse racing and how the horses are treated, and I want to express my thoughts on the subject.   I have ridden and competed in many different disciplines using horses, and I'm fortunate to have been exposed to many different facets of the horse industry.  For example, I have ridden hunter/jumpers, shown breed shows in english and western for quarter horses, paints, and pintos, done eventing, ridden saddleseat, ridden as an exercise rider for steeplechase horses, done team sorting, reining, worked with halter horses, shown dressage, done endurance riding, competitive trail riding, and pleasure trails.  Also in my time working as a veterinary technician with really excellent veterinarians I have gotten to know many wonderful racehorse breeders and trainers.   I have met both good people and unkind people in every single discipline.    

One thing that is obvious to me is that in horse racing, as in everything, there are both kind and unethical people in every facet of the industry.  I've been fortunate to work with some wonderful track owners, breeders, and trainers who really care about their horses.  I have several OTTBs in my barn right now who are well on their way to becoming amazing sport horses who are sound in mind and body.  One is an iron horse who retired from racing sound at 9 y/o, another is sound and 4 y/o who never raced because he was slow. They both are lovely horses who will go on to be great in their disciplines, and there are many other horses like them out there.  You can't judge a horse by its humans, and you can't make an accurate blanket statement about a sport based on the actions of a subset of people.  

For more information on the great track people who support their horses finding second careers you can go to the Retired Racehorse Project FB page and website to see the great things happening for this breed.  The Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance is another way that the racing industry is giving back to the horses by helping to pay for their retraining after they retire from racing.  While I'm happy to work with horses of all breeds, the retired racehorses are definitely my favorites.  I think it is wonderful that so many good things are coming out of the racetrack, from the horses to the strong support of the horses. 

1 comment:

  1. Great comments, Kim. I think it is wonderful, all the good you do for my favorite animal! I am living vicariously through you, by the way. When I was a girl, I read every horse book I could find and wished so hard that I could have my own horse. So when I see you in the saddle, I imagine my young self there! I am glad you are able to do so many good things. People who love animals are very special!

    ReplyDelete