Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Saturday, November 8, 2014

Highboy, Obie, and Cosmo at the Last Show of the Season

Today was absolutely wonderful.  A year ago this weekend I took Highboy to the last jumping show of the season, and he was beyond wild.  People feared for their safety.  He flew around on the end of his lead rope like a 1100 lb kite.  I never got on.  Today we went to the same show, one year later.  He not only marched into the trailer like a seasoned veteran, but when we unloaded at the show grounds I tacked him up and hopped right on!  He was a little frisky in the warmup, but no terrible hijinks.  We rode around the show grounds while we waited for our classes, which took a while because there were SO MANY kids there showing!  It was great to see such huge attendance.  It's been a slow competition season for many people because of health issues in the horse community (fortunately no one at Bit of Honey ever got sick), and I think absolutely everyone turned out for this last show of the season to enjoy our gorgeous weather and get in one more show before winter arrives.  I don't have access to all the show photos yet, though our stable photographer was there and documented it all for us.  I'll hopefully get her photos tomorrow.  I do love this one pic that was posted on facebook, though.

Highboy and I are on the left, Michelle and Obie in the middle, and Phoenix with Cosmo on the end with Bethnie patting Cosmo.  Highboy is standing a little bit on a hill and slightly closer to the camera, but he really has grown a LOT.  Obie in the middle is 16.2 hands.  It was wonderful to have people telling me how good looking Highboy is, and noticing his size, rather than scattering like bowling pins as we approached!  We had time for some lunch before our classes started, and I had brought a banana since it's a great horse show snack - comes in its own wrapper.  I had forgotten Highboy's new affinity for bananas, and I only ate probably half of it because he kept begging for another piece!  He was determined that if I wasn't going to share he was going to help himself.


Highboy and I rode in two jumping classes, just at the walk and the trot over cross rails.  Highboy was squirrelly and antsy all morning, but as soon as he went in the arena to ride his course he was all business!  He trotted well, steering was quite good, and he happily stepped over each miniscule (for him) jump with panache.  Highboy even kept his enthusiasm under control during the flat class when we all were all having an exciting time trotting together around the perimeter of the arena.  I always cheer for my young horses when I'm riding at schooling shows when they are doing a good job, so I spent most of the rides telling him how brave and smart and fun he was.  Everyone on the edge of the arena was smiling as they listened to my running commentary from his back, and there was some praise from the sidelines when Highboy cleared his last fence.




Michelle and Obie were awesome as well, having good rounds over the cross rails and performing nicely in the flat classes.  Michelle won her first blue ribbon ever, with Obie her sweet mount, and even took reserve champion for the day for the division!  Rebecca had done a painting of Obie and brought it with her to the show.  Beautiful artwork.


Cosmo and Phoenix did great for their first show together, and Phoenix's first show as an independent rider (she did leadline classes when she was five).  Phoenix remembered her course and did all the jumps well and in order, and Cosmo was a champion behaving himself and taking such good care of Phoenix.
Such a fun day.  Makes me eager for show season 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment