Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Monday, June 16, 2014

What's in a Horse First Aid Kit?



I've had a request for a blog post about first aid kits and what is in mine.  Because I worked as a veterinary technician for so many years I have a few different kits, so I'll go over the items I keep in each one.  Many of these things are fairly specific in their use.  If you are wanting a good kit that will get you through in an emergency until the vet arrives I would recommend the Horse Trailer Kit, and everyone who rides out on trails should have the items from the trail riding kit somewhere in their saddle bags.

Horse Trailer Kit:

betadine soaked gauze squares - for cleaning out small wounds
triple antibiotic ointment - good for applying to small wound after it's cleaned
vetwrap - can be used for many things, most often I clean out a small wound with betadine, then put triple antibiotic ointment on it, and a loosely fitted piece of vetwrap to cover it and keep it clean.
no-bow leg wrap - if you are able to correctly wrap a horse's leg this can be used for pressure wrapping.  It is foam covered in fleece that distributes pressure across the bandaged area
Standing bandage - used with a no-bow to correctly wrap the lower leg
stethescope - for taking heart rate, listening to gut sounds and lungs
watch with second hand - for taking vital signs
scissors - I always need these for something!
thermometer - I check temps on my horses at overnight competitions daily or anytime they look like they aren't themselves with the stress of travel and competing
hoofpick - you never know when your horse will pick up a rock in his hoof that needs to be pried out
Banamine paste - a pain reliever prescription you can get from your vet that is like horse tylenol - works for generalized pain (colic) and eye issues.  The other pain reliever is Bute, also a prescription, which is more like ibuprofen and used for localized swelling.

Trail Riding First Aid Kit (I carry with me on the horse in saddle bags):

hoof pick
vetwrap
triple antibiotic ointment
knife
scissors
squares of gauze soaked in betadine
long piece of hay twine

In the tack room:

My kit in the tack room is really more of a first aid closet than a kit!  It has a really comprehensive assortment of veterinary items.  Many of these items the average horse owner won't use unless directed by a veterinarian anyway, but I thought I'd give you a peek into my tack room first aid closet

thermometer
stethescope
watch with second hand
gloves (latex and powder free since I'm allergic)
gauze squares
white gauze
brown gauze
sterile gauze
white cloth tape
soft roll cotton
elasticon
vetwrap
no-bow bandages
cotton leg wrap
diapers
duct tape
epsom salts
sugar
betadine
7% iodine
chlorhexidine
old mac boots of varying sizes
antibiotic ointment
bag balm
swat
hoof knife
hoof pick
bandage scissors
liniment (Absorbine gel because I'm allergic to most of the others, but Sore-No-More also works well)
DMSO
furazone ointment
hoof testers
rasp

In the locked medication box in the house:
banamine
bute
TMS tabs
Adequan
Acepromazine
Legend
cough medication
allergy meds
syringes and needles
Neo-poly-bac eye ointment
Neo-poly-bac with dex eye ointment
  


1 comment:

  1. The timing on this post is unreal. Just returned from Camping with horses and one of them (we think) got casted in the small corral where we stayed. He was pretty agitated and at first we thought maybe a colic. Well, neither of us had banemine... my first aid kit had all but that... I was just looking on line what else should we have. Thanks Kim for another great post. Carol

    ReplyDelete