Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Twas the Night Before the Freedom Horseshow!

Two of my working students who helped out as ribbon runners at the show last year
Tonight I'm taking a few moments to reflect and feel grateful for all I have.  A wonderful husband, beautiful horses, great clients, and a special place to live and work.

Last year at the Freedom Horse Show, I was the judge for a group of riders who have dealt with their disabilities by riding horses.  They have learned from these animals just as I have.  I have been very fortunate to have made a mostly full recovery from my own brain injury, largely thanks to Cecil, my thoroughbred who passed away this spring.  I do remember what it was like to be in the wheelchair.  There are few things as humbling as needing a team of three people to help me go to the bathroom.  I remember only being able to walk assisted by a walker or my husband.  I remember my dog being SO EXCITED that there were TENNIS BALLS on the feet of the walker!  Having been where many of these riders are, it is perspective building for me to judge this show.  I evaluate the riders against their own goals and abilities, and not the abstract perfection of a "10" dressage score.

The dedication of the volunteers, the coordinators, the assistants, the parents...  all of these people work together to make a show like this possible for the riders.  It is a chance for them to show off what they have learned and accomplished over the year, to display skills they have worked on, and to have a crowd cheer for them while they ride the horse with whom they have spent so much time.  I feel honored to be asked to judge this show, and I'm looking forward to a great day tomorrow in the Budweiser Events Center in Loveland.

No comments:

Post a Comment