Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Monday, February 27, 2017

With a Little Help From My Friends

I am fortunate to have so many amazing animals here, and I want to take some time to mention a few details about how some of them have helped me become a better person.

Garmin is my blind pinto pony.  I love him because he reminds me that it doesn't matter where you started (on a feed lot where I rescued him), where you travel (to shows representing the barn in many states) or where you end up (blind in a paddock).  What makes your life great is having a friend by your side.

Among his many other roles, Tao the haflinger is Garmin's Seeing Eye Pony.  As long as Tao is by Garmin's side he doesn't worry about a thing.  They have been friends for many years and illustrate the importance of the herd and friendship.


Highboy is my personal eventing horse, my long term project, and the horse with which I intend to disprove all those who have declared he's not worth working on because he is so complicated.  I happen to love complicated horses, and Highboy is my perfect combination of athletic, complicated, with a sense of humor.

Walsh is my wonder pony.  He may be small, but he is mighty.  He makes me a better rider because his small physique leaves very little room for error in my lanky body.  He is incredibly sensitive and responsive, and reminds me how important it is to listen to my mount.

Fason is the best Uncle on the place.  After retiring with tremendous winnings on the racetrack, he is enjoying time off while raising some of the younger horses.  When my life settles down a bit I intend to get back to riding him, but in the meantime he reminds me that a individual has worth whether they are working in a traditional job or not.

Dewey is the Most Wanted Thoroughbred at Bit of Honey Training.  He is happy to be ridden by a variety of  humans large and small.  He is an incredible representative of the OTTB because while he was bred to race he really much prefers to eat and nap.  He also loves to perform his party tricks for anyone who gives the cues, and has been featured in several magazines with his incredible comeback story.  Dewey reminds me that an individual is important and can become famous, regardless of who has discarded them previously.
 
Note is my latest project, entered in the Retired Racehorse Project Thoroughbred Makeover in Kentucky in October 2017.  Note has taught me to look beneath the surface evaluation of a stallion needing an expensive surgery to see a kind dedicated worker who loves his job.

Z is my calico barn cat, who has been with me for 9 years, making her about 13.  This is a ripe old age for a barn cat, and when the dogs are put away Z always welcomes arrivals to the ranch with her kind face and loving head-butts.  Z used to host dinner parties with the mice in the shop at our old facility where they would all gather around the cat food bowl together in the evening.  I can only assume they were her friends, because when we moved to our current place Z morphed into quite the huntress.  I guess these newer mice count as a different kind of dinner date.


Sabbath is the resident dog-cat.  After arriving as a feral cat whom we didn't see for six months, one day he waddled out of his hiding place in the feed room and ever since has been one of the friendliest faces on the ranch.  Sabbath especially loves having his belly rubbed while he lies on the picnic table eating cheetos.  His amazing transformation teaches me that sometimes all someone needs is time, space, and a safe place to be himself.

Miles is my 9 year old border collie, the best assistant trainer I've ever had.  His favorite game is "hup-dog", where he leaps in the air desperately trying to catch the end of the lunge whip.  This is more commonly known as dog-fishing.  Miles seems to enjoy everything and reminds me to appreciate the little things.

Mahzi the dog and Dewey arrived at Bit of Honey around the same time.  They are good friends and can regularly be found playing tag in turnout, reminding me that friendship has no species limits.


Broetchen is my guinea pig and my blog writing partner.  She's the first one to hear these blog posts as I write them and edit out loud, and she's always quick with a squeek or hoot of support for my literary efforts.  It feels good to have an office friend when I need inspiration in essay form.

These are just a few of the animals with whom I share my day to day life.  It helps me to pause and reflect on what each of them represents and teaches me.  They make me a better human in each of their own ways.   

No comments:

Post a Comment