Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Saturday, August 6, 2016

Front Range Exceptional Equestrians Show

This Friday I judged the F.R.E.E. show again.  I judge this show for the Front Range Exceptional Equestrians every year for a few reasons.  I love attending this show because it's great to see the riders and their progress each year, as well as meet riders new to the therapeutic riding program.  I love the costume class, though it is definitely the most difficult to judge out of all the classes.  How do you choose between fanged dragons, princesses, wizards, an astronaut, and Santa's elves?





The show has an obstacle course, a pattern, a timed game, and a riding skills class for each division.  This year was outer-space themed.  I score and place the riders in reference to a write-up on each of their abilities and skills, which the executive director gives me ahead of time.  That way I'm judging the riders based on what they can do, not based on how they compare to others in their class.  The most important part of the show for me is the comments I give the riders verbally in the lineup at the end of the riding skills class on the rail.  This is my opportunity to tell each rider something I noticed that they did well.  I know when I compete myself that I may forget what color ribbon I went home with, but I definitely remember if the judge tells me I excelled at something, so I try to give these riders similar positive memories.



I choose to judge this show every year because it is a way for me to give back to the community.  It is a volunteer-run organization with folks who work tirelessly, to the extend that it feels like they essentially plan and pull off a wedding every first Friday in August.  I used to train horses for a therapeutic riding program and this show brings back many fond memories for me.  I also take a moment to reflect each time I judge this show on how close I came to being a therapeutic rider myself.  After having a brain injury and spending time in a wheelchair and walker, it is never lost on me how fortunate I am to not only be able to walk and drive on my own, but to be able to ride horses independently, to gallop, to jump, and to enjoy difficult horses like my overly tall and goofy Highboy. 

I brought two of my youth students to this show, and it was a great experience for them to help with setting and resetting the obstacle course, as well as see different types of riders on their mounts.  They were able to appreciate the accomplishments of the riders, and notice the generosity of the volunteers who led horses and sidewalked next to them all day. 

The FREE show is always a treat for me every year, and this was another great one in the books.


No comments:

Post a Comment